Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #151
AA Team Emeritus

Boring update:

My heatsink came loose and smacked one of my LEDs against the splash guard thus busticating it. I had to open it up and bypass the broken one to get the rest of the strip to fire at full power. I am leaving for my internship in the next few days, so this is the last time I will probably be at my tank for a couple months. I am going to mod my skimmer with the mesh mod before i leave and hopefully get my RKL sent to my roommate so he can hook it up right after christmas.

I also am going to have him set up a biopellet reactor to help make things easy. So, its about to be a very quiet couple months on here, but the fish are fat and happy, the corals are bright and we'll see where it goes!

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see you've been posting recently but haven't updated your own thread! How dare you!

Updatesplz?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
He has had a friend watching his tank the last couple months. Should be back before long.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #154
AA Team Emeritus

My roommate has been watching my tank for the last 3 months. The way my school program works is I do 3 months of school, then 3 months work, then school, work, ...etc.

Anywho, just got back tonight. My roommate has no experience in fish tanks much less saltwater, but he did a pretty good job. There is a GIANT outbreak of red flatworms, which seem to be leaving all my corals alone, but just covering evvveerrryythingggg.

I know i lost at least 2 SPS, and they were lost on a simple miscommunication from me to him, so I take responsibility. Other then the flatworms, it just looks like an unscrubbed tank. The coral that is still alive has boomed in growth. I'm charging my camera battery now, I should have some pictures up later.

This is going to be a HUGE cleaning process for sure, but all in all, I think everything went really well for the circumstances.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Those red "flatworms", are they actually flatworms? I saw those in a display tank at a LFS and they told me it was something different. I can't remember what though. They did say they were ok for the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
Old 03-26-2011, 01:41 AM   #156
AA Team Emeritus

They are Red Planaria, and yes I do believe they are technically a flatworm.
I haven't noticed them actively eating or destroying tissue, but they do tend to just create a giant mat and can blanket out the light for coral. So they are ok? but not recommended and you should get them out. And definitely dip anything you get from that store, who knows what else they have lol.
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 03-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #157
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome! So you're back for 3 months? I just want to see the growth and how those clowns are doing.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #158
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Looking forward to the growth shots.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #159
AA Team Emeritus

Having trouble finding my camera charger...

Also tonight I noticed that along with the red flatworm bloom I had a massive bloom of brittle stars. They are seriously everywhere. It's crazy.
Doing my best to bring the pics soon!
Dorm Pico Tank
Old 05-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #160
AA Team Emeritus

Well, seeing as how I didnt get raptured, figured I didnt have any reason to delay cleaning the tank anymore.

I had scrubbed it pretty well the last time I had posted, but then ultimate season got into full swing and I let it go once more. Now that the season is over, I have a slight calm before the storm that is my finals, and have some time to devote solely to the tank.

So after 2 hours of scrubbing, rinsing, cleaning, and swearing at myself for letting it come down to this, 10 gallons has been changed and things look better.
Still no luck with my camera charger, so I took some iphone pics. Im figuring someone in my studio has a camera charger, so im going to see tomorrow because i really want to show you guys everything. The colors on some of the corals are outstanding. Brightest neons I have seen.
Here are some bad pictures.

Dorm Pico Tank

Tags
build, jimbo7, led, sps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com