12DX LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agreed. just started putting mini frags into my 10gal 6bllue 6 white cree led tank and man they been opening up. Thinking about taking the crabs back out as they keep running over my newly acquired zoa frags. hopefully they'll pick it clean here soon so they stop.

Thanks guys. I need to polish my water up and find my tripod, I
ill take another look at what I took last night and see if there are and B grade pics that i can post.

I need to start updating this more.
Had one new and LAST coral purchase yesterday. 11 heads of blue rics for $30 was too hard to pass up. I need to add some sort of mechanical filtration to the tank, since I have no sand and no LR in there now, lots of crap just keeps blowing around and won't settle. I'm *thinking* about going ahead and putting the rock in, But I'm not sure yet. Also, I'm thinking of posting a picture of my aquascape, a picture of each individual coral, and letting you guys help me coral-scape..because I have a lot to fit in a small space.

I'm going to try and get some pics up tonight..

Here are some of those pictures from last week.
img_1143879_0_a310dc7dc2beeb94780808efc5ed1624.jpg

img_1143879_1_ec2a74aaa387e8dde0998f3a3824fa6a.jpg

img_1143879_2_adc630a18fe1abebf93a525bd24a632a.jpg

img_1143879_3_546cf1d62cc57f47068354b9cbf80e4d.jpg

img_1143879_4_4bd1c4177a401d330a85d91a227405d2.jpg

img_1143879_5_35c867bfb60c90a529fb389a033dcdd9.jpg

Be nice, I know some of them suck.

Jimbo, nothing you post is bad. Those are a really nice asssortment of corals and they can only grow and get better.

Thanks TC! That Joe the Coral is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Its coloration is awesome, I need to get a pic that does it justice.

Been awhile since I have updated. I am currently housing a small occ. clown and a hawkfish in the tank until their tank is set back up today or tomorrow. Feeding them has spiked my nitrate and po4 a bit, and caused a little bit of an algae bloom. I cleaned all the glass and did a 5g water change, rearranged the rock in the sump to fit my skimmer in there, and put in some carbon. Should clean up pretty nicely. I have been meaning to take a bunch of pictures of stuff for sale, I'll take some updated coral pics as well.

How'd I miss this thread? Great job on the LED's. Wish I knew what was being said about them... :)
Love your clam, how big is it? Why are they hard to move?

looks good, can you post links to where you got things?

would this provide enough lighting for a deeper tank? im looking to upgrade the lighting on my 55 hex

Hows that Favia doing after the acan attack?

It's actually recovering pretty well. It looked really bad for a couple days but has started to regrow the lost tissue. I think because it never actually got to the head, it was able to survive.

How'd I miss this thread? Great job on the LED's. Wish I knew what was being said about them... :)
Love your clam, how big is it? Why are they hard to move?

Thanks! He is around 1.5-2in, just a little guy. Crocea clams release an acid when they are sitting on the rock which dissolves it and allows them to "burrow" into the rock. Once they are comfy they extend their foot and latch on, and its really hard to get them to unlatch.

looks good, can you post links to where you got things?

would this provide enough lighting for a deeper tank? im looking to upgrade the lighting on my 55 hex

I'll PM you in a minute.

ok a few questions TC about the LED setup
1) are the wires facing toward the water or did you configure a face plate over the led wiring?
2) how good are LEDs power wise? im assuming really good because its enough to power a clam? are these the future of lighting
+1 for the hands on guide to an awesome job well done

I think you are talking to Jimbo7?

Last edited:
It's been 2 days, where are the pics?!? Lol

Haha, my brother was in town, I'll get to them later tonight.

ok a few questions TC about the LED setup
1) are the wires facing toward the water or did you configure a face plate over the led wiring?
2) how good are LEDs power wise? im assuming really good because its enough to power a clam? are these the future of lighting
+1 for the hands on guide to an awesome job well done

1.) Yea the wires are facing down towards the water. I used the stock splashguard that came on the 12DX to protect everything.
2.) At full power I would estimate these are around a 150w MH using only 36w of power. For nano tanks, I honestly don't think they can be beaten as far as a lighting option. For right now though, they are hard to use to light deeper tanks and really expensive.

Nothing spectacular. still can't get settings that I like. Messed with the white balance in these, on one end the greens look really good, and the other the blues look good, It's hard to get them both looking how I want.

img_1149956_0_b5bd8ae74add77e8dc5e4fb7764bf4e8.jpg

img_1149956_1_ca6f35de9019d1437c717a0271bcd0fc.jpg

Damaged favia making a nice recovery.
img_1149956_2_bbb14effc7401500f7304686ec832798.jpg

Please ignore the algae, working on it.:(

Back
Top Bottom