12DX LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's making a good recovery. :) Algae forgiven, having the same problem. What steps are you taking?

Getting these fish outta here is going to be my first step. I am just holding them for a few days until their new tanks is ready. I just started running my skimmer, so it will take awhile for that to break in. I'm also going to start some really frequent PWCs and be scrubbing. My guess is that the RO/DI filter at my house needs new canisters, but I'm going to be buying a new unit to take to college, so I'm just going to fight what I can now.

Alriighht. Update time. I'm doing to try my best on at least once a week pictures from here on in, all my friends have left for college :( and I still have a couple weeks left before my trek. This means I have lots of spare time for photography experiments. I'm decently happy with how this round came out.

I officially have a serious problem with coral. I now am WAY overstocked for when I put rock in, I am going to have to vote some coral off the island and find a new home for them. I swapped 4 RBTAs with a friend for ORA Pearlberry, ORA Red Planet, a red/pink mille with green extensions, sand dollar monti. His wife is starting up a clown breeding business, and they won't stop splitting in my moms tank. Anyway, some more exciting developments to come up soon, I scored a new bag of NP BioPellets for $30, going to try them out, and I'll leave the rest for another day :D

Here is what everyone cares actually cares about, da pitchers:
img_1153255_0_bc7862aafa305484186774d99ff190e7.jpg

img_1153255_1_7d8a89d719dcde9904ea0799f2a1e787.jpg

New Pearlberry.
img_1153255_2_e7cf431a944e3d3ba64d9bab2d402424.jpg

Still coloring up...maybe?
img_1153255_3_c785ec357a847e9fbaea61135a841826.jpg

My Bonsai is FINALLY coloring up! Rejoice!
img_1153255_4_5e6a14f93d94dc04f54ee29b2a08d074.jpg

My duncans pull through AGAIN for me on being the most photogenic piece in there. This is my favorite.
img_1153255_5_4ca9c9d406077e957c291597ea174d07.jpg

Again, please excuse the algae, still trying tor recover from holding those fish. They are officially moved out, so I will be getting my levels back under control here in the next week or so.
Enjoy!

Finally :p lol. They look awesome and it sounds like someone hasn't been attending their CBA meetings lolol. Btw I totally agree, those duncans are amazing!

The duncans are MWCF and the newest frags came from John. Other then that though, it was an online order.

Sweet pictures. I am so stealing a frag of that bonsi when it grows up. Starting to look really nice.

Wow, I wasn't aware of this thread somehow... now I am subscribed.
I am loving your garf bonsai and Pearlberry..... you know me

Haha, it seems this thread goes pretty unnoticed. I was out visiting Pat for a week, came back to another serious algae outbreak in the tank. Everything looks pretty healthy though so, can't complain too much. My GARF really seemed like it colored up a lot while I was gone. I have to do some serious cleaning tonight, and hopefully I can get some pictures up.

You should go see John or MCF. John had quite a few, though he is trying to beef up his stock for a couple frag swaps coming up. I imagine if you brought him some frags he would be more then happy to trade. He is trying to build up his SPS collection to its former glory.

Haha, it seems this thread goes pretty unnoticed. I was out visiting Pat for a week, came back to another serious algae outbreak in the tank. Everything looks pretty healthy though so, can't complain too much. My GARF really seemed like it colored up a lot while I was gone. I have to do some serious cleaning tonight, and hopefully I can get some pictures up.

What kind of algae? Just the stuff built up on the glass? Hopefully. Thats one thing nice about being gone for awhile and coming back to your tank which did NOT crash..... you can notice changes on the coral since you are not staring at it multiple times everyday.

Where did you buy your LED DIY stuff from? I need to make a decision quick on which LEDs I am adding to my tank as a 3rd main light source.

Just some nasty accumulation crap. There is some hair algae or something on one of the frag plugs that went crazy, but doesn't look like it spread. I am breaking all my frags off their plugs when I move anyway, so I'm not too worried.

I got my LED stuff from a couple different places, unfortunately there is no one stop shop for everything on a DIY setup.
LED's and Adhesive pads:
Nanotuners.com
Power Supply:
mpja.com
Pucks:
LEDsupply.com

I have a bunch of bookmarks and relevant information on my laptop at home I can send you. Just LMK.

Just some nasty accumulation crap. There is some hair algae or something on one of the frag plugs that went crazy, but doesn't look like it spread. I am breaking all my frags off their plugs when I move anyway, so I'm not too worried.

I got my LED stuff from a couple different places, unfortunately there is no one stop shop for everything on a DIY setup.
LED's and Adhesive pads:
Nanotuners.com
Power Supply:
mpja.com
Pucks:
LEDsupply.com

I have a bunch of bookmarks and relevant information on my laptop at home I can send you. Just LMK.

Jim, wouldnt this be all I would need, 24 Premium LED Do-It-Yourself Retrofit Kit
Minus the heatsinks which they sell those too??? You have done way more research on LED than I, let me know what you think about that link. On the link, click on "detailed description" for which LEDs etc
Then there is also this: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-53/24-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail
and this: http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-54/24-Ultra-Premium-LED/Detail
Thanks.

Last edited:
Those kits dont allow any dimming of the leds. Its better to buy everything separately and get dimmable drivers.

Those heatsinks may have the leds spaced too far apart if optics are to be used.

I use meanwell dimmable drivers (more $$$ but much easier to use and connect).

Matt

Back
Top Bottom