12g cube nitrate problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hiltymj

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought this tank off someone that had let it get really bad. So I bought it and got all the algae off it. Then I took out most of the live rock out (only the pieces covered in hair algae) I then got new rock that was aquacultured and put it in so it was about 12 pounds new rock and one 2 pound rock was left. I have hermits and bumblebee snails

Ha long story short nitrates were at about 125 after I put the new rock in. After about 2 days it went to about 90 then I did a couple water changes and cleaned out the sand and stuff put a poly filter in it and got it down to 40. It's been steady at 40 for about a week now.

What do I do?!?!?

keep doing water changes. that tank has been carelessly kept for a long while. it's not going to change in a few days or even a week. the algae on the rock was absorbing nutrients, not causing nitrates.

Ok. Ha ya it was really bad. But I shall play the waiting game! Do you think I should add more rock it's 14 pounds now.

Some of it is nice and porous.

Here it is

Attachments

• image-1538523883.jpg
    image-1538523883.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 75
Ok got a new rock lol

Attachments

• image-2997843103.jpg
    image-2997843103.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 79
be careful when adding new rock- it can cause ammonia spikes and kill any critters you may have in there.

Ok I'll watch it carefully. I always forget the smallest things effect the smaller tanks more obviously but it's hard to remember

So it never crossed my mind that there were bio balls in the filter so I know those are nitrate traps so I took them out and put some chemipure elite in there

Back
Top Bottom