130W enough for a 29G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nam2212

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking into upgrading my lights. I plan on getting a BTA and was wondering if 130W was enough light for it. It will be in a 29 gallon tank with 50 lbs live rock and 30 lbs live sand. I was looking at a new fixture and was wondering if this is a good deal? I was also planning on adding a mushroom or two and maybe some zoos. Thanks.

http://www.hellolights.com/302xcoaqpcho.html

That is a great light. I have very little reported problems with coralife products. That will be enough light for most soft corals and LPS. Just stay away from SPS and clams. The anemone may not do to well under these lights; it can be done but you just have to feed it alot more. I would recomend against it if you are a beginning hobbiest.

captivereefs said:
That is a great light. I have very little reported problems with coralife products. That will be enough light for most soft corals and LPS. Just stay away from SPS and clams. The anemone may not do to well under these lights; it can be done but you just have to feed it alot more. I would recomend against it if you are a beginning hobbiest.

Even the BTA? I have heard that they do well under standard flourescents. I was under the impression that they were less demanding when it came to lighting. Oh well. Thanks a lot. Anybody else? My LFS said that the BTA would just need power compacts, so I assumed this was the best to get.

You could try it. Just my opinion that you would need a little more light. If youi do go for it just feed him at least 3 times a week.

captivereefs said:
You could try it. Just my opinion that you would need a little more light. If youi do go for it just feed him at least 3 times a week.

I found a hood with 260W PC. I am guessing this will be enough light for whatever I would like to get.

The 130 watt fixture would give you over 4 watts/gal. That is plenty of light to keep most softies, zoos, polyps, mushrooms, and LSP corals. It is enough light to keep a BTA. They have lower light requirements and it would do fine in your tank.

lando said:
The 130 watt fixture would give you over 4 watts/gal. That is plenty of light to keep most softies, zoos, polyps, mushrooms, and LSP corals. It is enough light to keep a BTA. They have lower light requirements and it would do fine in your tank.

Is there such thing as too much light for a tank? The 260W fixture for the 30G sounds like a lot. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the health of my fish and soon to be BTA.

I do not think 260 watts would be too much. However, the 130 would be sufficiant. If you go with much more you may want to rethink your anenome species as the BTA generally does best with moderate lighting. Everything else would thrive under 260 watts (except some deep water gorgonias and sponges).

I think I have made up my mind to get the Tek-light 4x24 (96W) T5 fixture. From what I have read and the pictures I have seen, it will be more than enough for the 29G. What I don't understand is how 96W of T5 can be better than 130W of compacts. Can anyone explain this to me? I guess it has to do with the individual reflectors in the Tek-light fixture or the penetration of the light into the tank. Also, only having to change the bulbs every 12-18 months is appealing.

Back
Top Bottom