14 Soft Corals $150 including shipping from GARF!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just took the plunge and order the GARF softie special. It is a total of 14 soft corals including 2 shrooms, 2 ricordea, sarcophony, capnellia, antheila and more. Also included was a tube of frag glue and some coral food. Thought I would share and see what everyone thought. It gets here tomorrow so I will post pics and a review of the quality then.

Copied from Garf.

To: "LeRoy and Sally Jo Headlee"
Subject: 14 soft special
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:01:03 -0600
X-Priority: 3
Hey leroy, you may as well list what they will be getting w/ this 10 for a $100.00 special if you want

2 gorgonians red/yellow, yellow/white, orange/red,red/white
1 discasoma mushrooms green, red, purple or blue(Choice)
2 ricordea green&Blue-green
1 capnella green&blue or pink
1 sarcophyton
1 palythoa
1 anthelia
1 star polyp

I'm only counting 10 in their 10 for $100 special, but its called the 14 soft. What am I missing? Still sounds like a good deal tho. I just need to see if I can find some pics of what most of those look like.

For those that are familiar with them, any special care for these guys? I'm ordering my 1st corals tomorow and this seems like an ideal way to start. I've got 210w of PC, max distance of 14" from light to substrate.

These corals are all very small except for the gorgonians, they are about 4 inches each. I have several other corals in my main that provide nice viewing while these grow and fill out more. I will post pics Friday when I get back home.

PS- I think they changed it back to 10 for $100 instead of 14, so you have to jump when the deal is there. All in all, 10 is still a good deal.

I emailed them early this morning, got this reply.

"Hello, Check out the home for Norm's 14 coral ONE HOUR special, http://www.garf.org and leave a toll free message so he can send the 14 corals.
-- LeRoy Headlee
Director Of Research
Geothermal Aquaculture
Research Foundation
800-600-6163"
They updated their page as well. I left a message as a reservation and will order tomorrow.

When you say real small, like "Want to see my corals? Sure, let me move this grain of sand..." small? :lol:

I ordered this package and received it on 6-24-04. I ordered about a week prior, but had them delay shipping until the 23rd so I would be home to receive it. They ended up shipping 12 corals including
3 gorgonians (orange/red, red/white, and yellow white)
zoanthid
palythoa
capnella
sarcophyton
green star
briareum
anthelia
mushroom
ricordia

They are small frags. The gorgonians are nice and colorful. All three were fully open by the end of the 2nd day. The ricordia has potential and I'm hoping it does well. Both the anthelia and briareum arrived dead. the anthelia had come loose from its float and was rolling around in the bottom of the bag. This is apparently a bad thing and makes anthelia unhappy. The briareum was floating, but I've yet to see any extention on it in 3 days, checking both lights on and off. It looks like a white rock glued to a reef plug. I emailed garf about them just a bit ago and expect a reply monday'ish.

The rest appear healthy, but everything is brown except the mushroom. Even my green stars are brown. They were a bit of a dissapointment, I was looking forward to them. They are good specimens, but not ones I myself would have picked simply because of coloration. On the plus side, I did find at least two mini brittle stars on my mushroom. I didn't have any in my tank, so they will be a welcome addition.

All in all I'd give the order a 5/10. I'm not displeased, but not thrilled either. I would order from garf again, if for no other reason than they're doing a good thing. However, I might specify a bit in what I'm looking for.

Anyway, for those that have received reef plugs before, whats the best way to put thime in the reef? Keep them attached to the plugs, or relocate them to the rocks themselves?

Back
Top Bottom