150-200 gallon reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello AA community, I need your opinions on something.

I am thinking about getting a 150-200 gallon reef setup. This will be my FIRST salt water tank EVER and I don't know if its a good decision.

What would be the start up cost?
Monthly cost (bills/supplies)
Is it worth it?
Is it hard to maintain?
How much harder is it compared to fresh water?
Anything else I would need to worry about?

I appreciate all the help and await your suggestions :)

Hello AA community, I need your opinions on something.

I am thinking about getting a 150-200 gallon reef setup. This will be my FIRST salt water tank EVER and I don't know if its a good decision.

What would be the start up cost?
Monthly cost (bills/supplies)
Is it worth it?
Is it hard to maintain?
How much harder is it compared to fresh water?
Anything else I would need to worry about?

I appreciate all the help and await your suggestions :)

That's a big tank to start of with. This is a very loaded question. Here are some links to hopefully help you out.

In short it can be as simple as you want or as complex as your budget allows for.

http://www.thereeftank.com/blog/setting-up-your-saltwater-aquarium/

http://youtu.be/UwRvd5kS4wY

http://www.saltwater-aquarium-guide.com/

http://www.saltwater-aquarium-online-guide.com/saltwater-aquarium-beginner-guide.html

http://www.melevsreef.com/overview.htm

Bigger is always better. Smaller systems are much more susceptible to fluctuations. It easier in salt water to maintain say a 100 gallon tank than a 10 gallon tank.

It varies greatly all depending on what you do and how you set up. However for 150 gallons+, I would expect to pay at least 2500 before adding fish, but many pay a lot more. Some, however build their own stands, sumps, etc.

Just set up a 90 gallon - still curing my system - no fish yet.

Had the tank and stand from my parents old FOWLR and used 70 lbs of their old dry rock.

Cost so far without livestock - $2600 without the old equipment

My tank set-up is in my profile

At this point, it's really just too broad to tell you. You have a lot to learn, so take it slow, try to do a lot of research, and them come with a couple specific questions at a time.

I can only share what I have not really much experience with them:

90 Gallon Tempered Glass
OCReef 48 x 3watt CREE LED
Aqueon HOB Overflow Box 110
Maggie Muffler - Overflow Silencer
15 Gallon Sump
SWC Xtreme 160 Cone Skimmer - lots of research here - well loved ~$300
Mag 9.5 Return Pump - Also well loved
Aqua Lifter ATO with Float Switch - super important with a tank that size
2 Hydor Evo 1500 Powerheads - Noisy, but needed to save money some place
Hydor Smartwave Wave Maker
2 – 150w Eheim Jager Heaters
Eheim 2228 Cannister filter (housing LR for Cryptic Refugium)
35 lbs of Live Rock
75 lbs of Dry Rock (now Live)
Water General 150gpd RODI

Bigger is not always better, if your going to have corals I expect you will have to dose calcium and all trace elements regularly on such a large system as water changes will not be enough to keep up with the needs of the corals. That is if your going to have corals. A 50 gallon would be much easier to maintain.

I think it would be best to decide what you want in it. Do you want fish only (fowler) or a full blown reef? The only reason I ask is because if you want a reef tank your lighting will be the most expensive thing you buy. If you have your heart set on a particular fish that requires a large tank then go for it! I started with a 55g and almost instantly regretted not starting with a 75g, but wouldn't go any bigger (space issue)

I really like eels, and full blown reefs, are there any eels that could live in a reef and not disturb it? or anything similar?

I always say, if you want big get it because you'll end up upgrading anyways. If you do start small, invest in components that will also work or are modular with the tank you want in the future. I've done this, while its pricier upfront, it's much cheaper in the long run.

LEDS are great, they seem expensive but with reduced power consumption and no bulb changes, in 2-3 years the pay for themselves. Many LEDS are modular so if you upgrade, you just add units. The same goes with DC return pumps. They operate way cheaper and if you get a bigger one, you can reduce its power setting to reduce flow. An AC pump runs @ 100% all the time and flow is controlled by a valve.

You can DIY additives and keep cost down, buy salt on Black Friday/Boxing Day for the year etc etc.

I really like eels, and full blown reefs, are there any eels that could live in a reef and not disturb it? or anything similar?

If you really want an eel in a reef, it is possible, depending on your definition of a reef. Eels are coral safe. However, you will be limited to no small fish, no shrimp or crabs. Also, eels are big waste produces because they eat a lot at once. You would have to stock the tank lightly with larger fish.

Back
Top Bottom