150w 10K vs. 250w 20K

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
150w 10K vs. 250w 20K
Up until this morning I was pretty much set on a couple of 10K Sm or 12K Reeflux 150W HQI bulbs in Luman Max 3 reflectors. I was going to use T5 actinics to help get the 15k-20k look.

I was thinking this morning of going with 250w HQI's instead and then just using a higher K bulb. I would still probalby keep the T5
s to help pop some of the colors but maybe just shorten the phot period.

My tank is a 95g tank that is 23" deep, keep a good amount of everything but mostly SPS.

I don't think 150's would penetrate as well as the 250's. Color is up to you. Reeflux bulbs will give of some actinic spectrum without as much blue color I believe. I use 14k reeflux with an 03 actinic and a blue+ T5's in my 75 gal. I am happy with the results. Pics looks blue but not so much in person.

The first question to ask is what wattage you will need. There is a big difference between 3 150s and 3 250s. If you have a deep tank or plan to keep mainly high light dependent corals like SPS or high light clams go with the 250s. If you intend to keep a variety of softies, LPS and some species of SPS the 150s will do fine. They will not run as hot and not cost as much every month.

On to color...it is really personal preference. I use to use 20K MH with actinic supplements, but have since switched to 14ks with actinics. The 20k bulbs were just too blue for me.

Since he said mostly SPS, I vote for 250's. I have a 150 HQI over my frag tank. Nice but near the penetration of the 250's.

SOrry, I missed that. I agree that the 250s are a better choice for that. SPS coral growth tends to do better under a lower K rating. I would go for 10k bulbs with the actinics. 58-67K are ideal for growth but may appear a bit too yellow.

Ok, here's what I"m thinking. Two Lumen Max 3 reflectors w/ 2x250w Ice Cap electronic ballasts.

I'm trying to decide between Phoenix 14k, Ushio/BLV 14K or possibly the reeflux bulbs....

I will also be running 2x54w T-5's, not sure on which bulbs yet, depends on how my tank looks I guess.

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:21 am Post Subject:
I will also be running 2x54w T-5's, not sure on which bulbs yet, depends on how my tank looks
I would recommend a lower k MH lamp since you can use the T-5's for the extra "pop"/ blue. There is more useable light/color spectrum in say a 10 k lamp vs. a 20 k. That would allow you more diverse colors and the best results w/ SPS. HTH

MT79 said:
Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:21 am Post Subject:
I will also be running 2x54w T-5's, not sure on which bulbs yet, depends on how my tank looks
I would recommend a lower k MH lamp since you can use the T-5's for the extra "pop"/ blue. There is more useable light/color spectrum in say a 10 k lamp vs. a 20 k. That would allow you more diverse colors and the best results w/ SPS. HTH

Agreed...but I'm not sure 10k's w/ two T5's would give me the color I want. I think I'm going to go w/ 2 phoenix 14K 250's and then add the T5's if necessary to get me more towards the 20k range.

I think I'm going to go w/ 2 phoenix 14K 250's and then add the T5's if necessary to get me more towards the 20k range.
That sounds good to me, 14k is a decent compromise. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom