155 Gallon Bow Tank - My Dream Tank - Powerhead Placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brauny

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have searched everywhere and wondering what is the best placement for the 3 powerheads I have for my 155 Gallon Bowfront. I have a 50 gallon refugium and 2 AT Circulation Pumps (SubVortechs) and Sicce 4 Pump. These are placed if looking at aquarium at the side left pointing toward the front side right pointing toward the front and the Sicce is on the back wall pointing left toward the middle. I have a few areas of bare no sand, but these powerheads are not facing down toward the sand. You can see the glass at the bottom of the tank in these areas. Also seems to like too many particles are blowing around.

the best placement is where they wont be kicking up a sand tornado while still keeping no dead spots. It's all based on your rock work.

My rock work is minimal now since it is expensive, I have like 60 lbs just stacked like a chain in the middle. If it were an open tank no scape, where would you put the 3 heads. I have seen a tornado in there as of yesterday, but not often.

your going to need about 100 lbs more live rock in there, the general rule is 1-1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon. You cannot place the powerheads as if you had no rock, the rock creates a barrier and resistance to flow. You most place the powerheads so that when ALL your rock is in there, there is not spots for detritus to build up or settle. It will take patience and experimentation in placement on your part.

Got a pic? Dry/macro rock may be a good option for you since it's a lot cheaper. And all the rock will become live as you cycle the tank.

Yeah I have like 60 to 70 lbs now, I didn't want to put too much in right away due to the wall cleaning that needs to be done yet. I am getting like 50 to 60 more lbs once it gets back from the Gulf Coast, I want some unique ones. Where do I get the dry/macro rock? Are you talking the fake looking porous rock that looks like coral? Thanks ahead of time for the advice.

1609927_10203270723468658_7876140985005077134_n.jpg

This is the left side, above is the right side. End of Cycle, still cleaning to do on the side and back walls.
10644603_10203270664267178_6593317800634313014_n.jpg

What is the best thing to use on the interior bowfront to clean the glass. I have the magnet razor blade thing that works great, but am scared to get anywhere close to sand bed for scratches.

Yeah I have calcium deposits at the bottom and that doesn't seem to help. Are you talking about taking a sponge on the back side of the aquarium where you see the debris attached?

Back
Top Bottom