165 watt LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill0181

Aquarium Advice Freak
How high above a 29 gallon nano cube should I mount these lights? What is the intensity that I start at and how often should I increase?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407163602.894517.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407163602.894517.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 112
total wattage doesn't tell us anything, what is the wattage of the individual LED? You can have a 165 1 watt led's and they would only be good for a couple of inches penetration.

55x3

How high above a 29 gallon nano cube should I mount these lights? What is the intensity that I start at and how often should I increase?

8-10 inches should work, start them pretty low 10-20% and go up noore than 5% a week until you reach your desired level.

Thanks Red

total wattage doesn't tell us anything, what is the wattage of the individual LED? You can have a 165 1 watt led's and they would only be good for a couple of inches penetration.

I keep seeing this statement and I have no idea where this myth came from. As an electronics technologist with a major in microwave communications I will tell you one thing:
It had NOTHING to do with individual led wattage and everything to do with TOTAL wattage. Total wattage and efficiency of the LEDs. We are not shooting light bullets at the tank where size matters, but blanketing the tank in waves of light where the total matters.

That being said, most smaller LEDs do have lower efficiencys in the 30-40 lum per watt. Some manufacturers brag about 70 lum per watt. Bridgelux exceeds that and Cree are exceeding 130-140 lum per watt.
But there are some small wattage LEDs in the 70-100 lum per watt that are just 0.2 watts. But 10 of those are JUST as good as a 3 watt LED under driven to just 2 watts if it's efficiency is also 70-100 lum per watt.

So let's stop spreading the myth and concentrate of led quality.

Bridgelux are very good
Cree are the best

At least for now.

Thanks ingy... Just out of curiosity is your last name ingerson?

Thanks had a et buddy that we called ingy thought it might of been you thanks anyways

Back
Top Bottom