18% water change weekly too much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noturaveragereefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 34g bow front and I'm doing approx 18% water change every Friday. My tank is small so I'm aware that bad things can happen fast...so I figured I'd be more preventative. I have a damsel and and maroon and yellow tang along with 4 small corals. I'm adding more corals next week. I just want them all to stay healthy. Tips/advice please!

No that us not too much. I personally stick to about 10%. Good to want to stay on top of things, however, I do think it is the responsible thing to point out that a yellow tang cannot stay in that tank. It requires 90 gallons or more. :/ don't mean to be the fish police im just saying

Most people do a 25% PWC once a week, but some people do even bigger ones, or more more frequent ones. So, yeah, your fine.

I have a 34g bow front and I'm doing approx 18% water change every Friday. My tank is small so I'm aware that bad things can happen fast...so I figured I'd be more preventative. I have a damsel and and maroon and yellow tang along with 4 small corals. I'm adding more corals next week. I just want them all to stay healthy. Tips/advice please!

A normal rule of thumb is some where between 10-20 % weekly,...fresh clean water is just one of the ways to rid your tank of unwanted waste build ups and re introducing calcium etc,... On my own tank ( 135 gal w/45 gal sump ) I replace approx 40-50 gals weekly and going strong ,...best of luck !!!!!,..
Ps ...as stated above,..tangs need a much larger tank.

No that us not too much. I personally stick to about 10%. Good to want to stay on top of things, however, I do think it is the responsible thing to point out that a yellow tang cannot stay in that tank. It requires 90 gallons or more. :/ don't mean to be the fish police im just saying

Sorry not tang! It's a clown. Maroon and yellow clown. Lol. Thanks

A normal rule of thumb is some where between 10-20 % weekly,...fresh clean water is just one of the ways to rid your tank of unwanted waste build ups and re introducing calcium etc,... On my own tank ( 135 gal w/45 gal sump ) I replace approx 40-50 gals weekly and going strong ,...best of luck !!!!!,..
Ps ...as stated above,..tangs need a much larger tank.

Sheesh! That's a lot. I use distilled water until I can afford better. But last week it seems like after my water change my ca levels dropped a lot. From like 460 to 380. I thought that was a bit extreme.

18% weekly isn't too much..... I've got a 28 with about 24 gallons or so after rock volume, and I do a 4 gallon change (16%) twice a week, but I have some SPS and am a bit anal about keeping them healthy.

And keep an eye on your maroon clown down the road. Even though LiveAquaria lists min tank size as 30, those guys can get quite large..... and the aggression tends to ramp up a little when they start feeling constrained.

Last edited:
Test your water weekly this will let you track what is going on in your tank and you can plan out just how much of a PWC is needed. If the trates climb to 5 ppm then you can go 2 weeks between PWC's
I keep a journal for each of my tanks it lets me keep an eye on things.

18% weekly isn't too much..... I've got a 28 with about 24 gallons or so after rock volume, and I do a 4 gallon change (16%) twice a week, but I have some SPS and am a bit anal about keeping them healthy.

Haven't gotten into the SPS' yet. Still stuck on the LPS' and shrooms. Trying to be patient so I can get a feel for where to go with the tank.

Haven't gotten into the SPS' yet. Still stuck on the LPS' and shrooms. Trying to be patient so I can get a feel for where to go with the tank.

Not a bad thing. Always remember the reef mantra...."Only bad things happen fast. Good things happen slow."

EDIT: Woo-Hoo.... 1000 posts, you are a very special customer!!!

U are good with 18%. I do 5 gal on my 28 nano. A week. I have a maroon also with a tomato. And he was getting beat up pretty bad so i put him in a breeder box for a few days.

Back
Top Bottom