Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2004, 12:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to mrrrkva
A 6 foot tank would need less floor support than a 4 foot tank with the same "gallonage" Are your joist running perpindicular or parralel to the tank? Can you get under the floor that the tank is on? can you put reinforcement joist under is or possible jacks? Is the wall behind it a weight bearing wall, if it is you have a better chance. If it was a 6 foot tank I would say no problem (less pounds per square inch)

http://community.webshots.com/user/catfish6661
mrrrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:03 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Its a four foot (461/2 ) but the wall it would be next to is a weight bearing wall. Then the tank itself would sit over 3 joists running the oppistie way _______________
I I I
Something like this...It sits dirctly below the main beam in my house. I really think it will be ok... I think the hard part is figuring out how to reach the bottom...

Old 01-13-2004, 10:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

congarts on finding that really deep tank!

I think you had better send that son of yours to scuba school while he's still young enough not to argue about it.

are your floor joists solid wood or is it particle board sandwitced between a couple of 2 by 3's? The latter of the two will hold it but the solid joists will sag and crack the drywall from floor to ceiling on that wall. If it were me I would probably buy a 4 by 4 cut it in half and run them under 4 of the floor joists under that tank and put a couple of those house jacks(only cost about 10$ ea.) under those 4 by 4's and garantee your sucsess.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I'll run some calculations for you seeing that I am an engineer But I need some more information.

1. under this location what type of beam is it? most likely an I beam. If it is, give me the dimensions, (length, width and thickness)

2. The distance from each edge of the tank to the nearest post
( ||<------------->| TANK |<---------------|| )
the || are posts

3. What is the size of your floor joists? 2 x ?

with this information, I can tell you what to do to keep your walls from cracking and your joists from bending too much.

Jim
Old 01-13-2004, 01:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Jim you are the best... I will run home get your info & send you a PM...

Tags
180 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com