Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2004, 08:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

180 gallon tank.. will my floor hold this??

I am looking at a 180 gallon custom tank that someone walked away from. It is 461/2 long, 48 heigh, and 19 deep reef ready acrylic. I like that the size and shape are uncommon and will need to have a custom stand made but my question is, after I looked at the calculators I am looking at 2,500 lbs with the water, sand, and rock... Am I going to need to reinforce my floor to hold that kind of weight??? My house is only 5 years old and the main joyce (sp) will run the length of the tank not under the tank.. I am a little worried.... Any advise??

Old 01-12-2004, 08:38 PM   #2
cj10488

I would think that your floor should be able to hold it but you can always get a Carpenter or an Engineer to come out and inspect the location and give his "seal of Approval"

HTH,
James
Old 01-12-2004, 09:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to smooth_rivers
Hope you have some LOOOONG arms kid, lol. You're gonna have to get a snorkle to reach the bottom of the tank!
Old 01-12-2004, 09:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I've heard of people swimming with the fishes... I guess this time its really true.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

No kidding huh.... I told my son I was going to hold him by the ankles and lower him on down. Hope he can hold his breathe and take hand signals LOL.. I will have to have something designed that will reach the bottom and act like a hand. But you have to admit. It will look awwwsome.......
Old 01-12-2004, 09:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to skys Send a message via MSN to skys
180g sweet
i am planning on getting a similar size tank but in the summer time
220g at bigals 8O
how i will clean it? i dont know at the moment
Old 01-12-2004, 09:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That makes two of us... But when there a will...... theres a way. So you will have more weight then I will. Dont you worry about your flooring?? 2,500 lbs 8O 8O
Old 01-12-2004, 09:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

There is a forum at www.construction-resource.com you can pm a guy named cradmin. I've asked him several questions about building stands, very helpful guy and seems to know his construction. He can probably give you a good guess. (He also will usually answer posts within 24 hours) Keep in mind that most bathtubs have double joists framed around where the fixture is. Though I'm not sure how much a full bathtub would way. I would imagine it would be much more, but it's also spread out over a larger surface area to take the force. HTH.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

wow 4 feet deep thats pretty crazy, sounds like it will be pretty awesome when all set up though. Good luck

Mr. Marine
mrmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 11:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there anything directly below the tank? If not you should be able to put up some columns in the basment and run beams across the joists to support them without too much trouble. Try searching the forums though, I remember another person who had this problem before.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
180 gallon, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com