Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-13-2009, 05:14 AM   #141
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Very jealous that you got to go to the tyree coral show. His coral is amazing looking. There are a ton of nice places out in California. I've heard thats where most of the coral shipments come in from over seas and that's why so much of the best stuff ends up out there.
Ya, it was pretty cool. I actually bought the pieces from Tyree himself, so there is no question if they are real LE or not. I think his next "Coral Farmers Market" is in Dallas. But you are right about the California thing, definitely an advantage for us. I think the best LFS out here for coral is vividaquariums, you may know them from online purchasing. The coral shows are the always the most fun and have the best deals. The next one we have here is reef-a-palooza in October.
I wish I could take pictures of my new coral, but ever since switching to the radiums, all my pictures turn out blue. I need to figure out if my little POS camera has a white balance.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #142
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
The next one we have here is reef-a-palooza in October.
I think my fellow NCPARS reef club member Sanjay Joshi will be speaking at that event. Make sure you check out his presentation if you can.

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #143
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Thanks for the heads up Cccapt, if he is there I will listen to him speak. Is he talking about reef lighting? I know they will have other known names in the reef world speaking too, I can't wait.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #144
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I up graded my protein skimmer in a big way as you can see below. This is the SWC 1A Cone skimmer. This new skimmer will be "over-skimming" my tank as it is rated for tanks from 400-700 gallons. It has a Laguna/Askoll based pump which are known be be silent beasts. I am going to sell the skimmer on the left if anybody is interested it is rated up to 150-gallons.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:15 AM   #145
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Most recent update.... I was woken up to my wife shouting from downstairs, "Baaaabe, one of your fish jumped out of the tank." My first thought was the yellow wrasse, then I yelled down, "which one." She responded, "Marley." which is what she named the Watcman Goby. Thats too bad, he ended up being a cool fish and cleaned the heck out of my sand. The crazy/sad thing is, he ended up about 6-feet away from the tank. Either my dog found him first, or he flopped around that far. It's sad to think he drowned and even more sad to think how many fish we buy which were pulled out of the ocean only to die very shortly afterwards.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #146
AA Team Emeritus

Sorry to hear that. Gobies are so neat.

The thing I can't get over is how he was so near the top unless he was chased. The watchman just stays at the bottom. Who is the likely bully in the tank?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:15 PM   #147
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Sorry to hear that. Gobies are so neat.

The thing I can't get over is how he was so near the top unless he was chased. The watchman just stays at the bottom. Who is the likely bully in the tank?
I know it is very weird. Nobody messed with him at all and it happened at night. I could possibly have been the bully. I was under then tank with my flashlight that night checking out the skimmer. The light shined for a second in the tank, but opposite side which the goby sleeps and I think opposite side it jumped.... who knows.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 AM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow! that is one HECK of a protein skimmer! WOW! talk about over skimming!
Old 11-14-2009, 01:09 AM   #149
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey View Post
wow! that is one HECK of a protein skimmer! WOW! talk about over skimming!
Thanks! I am overskimming a lot especially since my bioload is pretty small for a 180-gallon tank. Here are some pictures of how it is working below. The first pic is 5-days worth of skimmate, then I decided to make it little wetter, the last pic is from only 1-day.
A lot has happened since I last posted. I also took my VHO actinics out and added 1-60" T5HO with an individual reflector and and Aquablue bulb. I wanted something which directed more usable light for the coral, so this was my choice since the VHOs I had didn't have any reflector whatsoever.
I also a battled a bad case of Valonia (Bubble Algae) and finally beat it with the addition of lots of a certain type of hermet crab, about 6-Emerald crabs, a Scribbled Rabbitfish and a couple hours of scraping the rocks one Saturday morning.
Some new corals I added lately are the Tyree LE Royal Plum, Tyree LE 20k Leagues Lokani and ORA Tri-Color Valida

Old 11-15-2009, 12:34 AM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

whoa!

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com