Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-21-2008, 03:44 AM   #21
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

My stand finally came in, again. This time is was much closer to the way I ordered it so I am going to keep it this time. I also picked up some foam for my stand today, it is 1/4" thick purchased from Lowes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	16631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1795.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	16632  

Name:	IMG_1796.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	16633  

Old 12-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Got the plumbing done today with my brother in law. It is a 1.5" drain and then a 3/4" return with a true wye fitting then flexible pvc up to the bulkheads. We had the two drains join up and go upsize into 2" and then down to the sump.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	16685   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1800.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	16686  

Name:	IMG_1801.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	16687  

Old 12-27-2008, 10:40 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did the tank manufacturer tell you to use foam under the tank?
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 03:29 AM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

No they said that "no padding is necessary, however, there must be no pressure points on the bottom panel." I used 1/4" foam and it is an acrylic tank. I do remember your nightmare, and it scares me. However, reading around on wetwebmedia etc it seems like it is good to use foam on acrylic tanks incase there is a small high or low area on the bottom panel.
It is not too late to take it out, now you have me worried.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:47 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If it is acrylic you will be fine. You just don't want to use foam under a glass tank unless the manufacture suggests it.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Got the plumbing done today with my brother in law. It is a 1.5" drain and then a 3/4" return with a true wye fitting then flexible pvc up to the bulkheads. We had the two drains join up and go upsize into 2" and then down to the sump.
I'm nowhere near ready to have a SW tank (financially or space capacity wise) but someday I plan on having one and I've been trying to figure out the whole sump/fuge plumbing thing. I have to admit that for me it's the most confusing part of the SW world. Your pictures, however, help clear up a lot of confusion for me. It's one of the first times I've been able to clearly see how it all connects up. Thanks for posting these.

If you get a chance could you post how the plumbing inside the tank works? Are you using overflows?

Thanks again for the clear, straightforward pics of the plumbing.
spilzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by spilzer View Post
I'm nowhere near ready to have a SW tank (financially or space capacity wise) but someday I plan on having one and I've been trying to figure out the whole sump/fuge plumbing thing. I have to admit that for me it's the most confusing part of the SW world. Your pictures, however, help clear up a lot of confusion for me. It's one of the first times I've been able to clearly see how it all connects up. Thanks for posting these.

If you get a chance could you post how the plumbing inside the tank works? Are you using overflows?

Here is a great explanation of a sump and how it works. Lots of good info on this site!!!

Melevsreef.com - What is a Sump?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:16 AM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. When I first started looking into a saltwater tank, I was always intimidated whenever I opened up the cabinet at the LFS and looked underneath at this "sump" thing. It always looked so confusing to me too and I didn't uderstand it. Needless to say the LFS sold me on a wet/dry canister filter which was fine for a fish only tank but not good for a reef tank. Once you have somebody explain a sump/return pump/drain to you it all makes perfect sence and it is not all that confusing. I didn't read the link that Ziggy listed but I am sure it is a good one.
Thanks again for the reply, it motivates me to keep this thread going and to keep posting pics :p
Old 12-31-2008, 03:26 AM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:

To answer your questions in this post, yes I can take more pictures that show how the pumbing inside the tank works... I should be able to post them tomorrow.
I am using 2-overflows. My overflows are reef-ready which means that they are built in, inside of my tank and the bottom of my tank has two holes in each overflow. One hole for the big drain pipe and the other hole is for the smaller return pipe. Basically the water spills into the overflow then goes down the big drain pipe you can see in my pics. I joined both of the drains together and upsized the pipe and then it spills into the sump. The last chamber in my sump has the return pump that pumps the water back into the tank above through the Y shaped smaller pipe you can see in my pictures. Hope that helps.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:51 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool, thanks to both you ryshark and Ziggy for helping steer me down the path of understanding sumps and plumbing. I'm sure by the time I'm ready to get into a SW tank of my own I'll have the knowledge I need to make my own sump. AA rocks!

spilzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com