180-Gallon Upgrade Starts NOW!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I meant to post this one before the last post, this is when I got the sand down 112-pounds and the base rock in, then started filling it up with saltwater.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 164
Coming along very nicely.
As far as the fans in the canopy, I run 3 175 mh's and don't use a chiller. I have 2 fans towards the top of the canopy to pull the heat out, but the most efficient way to cool the water is thru evaporation - have a fan blowing directly across the top of the water. The back is open on my canopy and I have a fan mounted there that blows over the water. The only time my tank gets over 81 is if it's about 85 outside and I don't have the AC on in the house.

I haven't posted in awhile so I thought I would share a couple things I added yesterday. As far as equipment goes I added a dual stage reactor which carries GFO (Phosphate remover) in one chamber and the other chamber has Carbon. This should help to keep algae to a minimun and keep my water crystal clear. My coral should appreciate this addition.
Yesterday, I also went to a Reef Frag Swap with many vendors selling coral. I picked up a Tyree LE Sunset Monti and also an Acan Lord. The other picture is my ORA Pearlberry, I got it about a month ago... pearlberrys are not very photogenic. All the coral pictures are with 10k lighting

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1985.jpg
    IMG_1985.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1989.jpg
    IMG_1989.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 112
I am happy with it so far too. I am starting out by using less gfo and carbon than recommended, I don't want to risk "shocking" the system.

I use mine a couple of times a month for a few days at a time. I do it just to polish the water.

What is your opinion on running it 24/7 versus only a few days a month? Do you think the GFO and GAC strip too much from the water, including good stuff?

A few more additions. A ORA Hawkins, A Royal Gramma... I want to start adding lots of small fish, I am thinking about getting a few anthias too and another addition is our first baby 6-weeks old... I got an acrylic tank with him in mind.

Attachments

• IMG_2002.jpg
    IMG_2002.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1997.jpg
    IMG_1997.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1993.jpg
    IMG_1993.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 103
What is your opinion on running it 24/7 versus only a few days a month? Do you think the GFO and GAC strip too much from the water, including good stuff?

I only run carbon when I need it. There is nothing wrong with running it 24/7 though I wonder if it does remove good things as well as bad things. There are a lot of people that run it all the time. Since the upgrade I've been running it for about a week at a time and replacing the carbon and doing it again.

Great additions!!

Congratulations Pop!!

Here are a few new corals I have picked up over the past couple weeks.
Candy Apple Red Zoa
Devils Armor Zoa (hard to see in this pic but it has a pink center with a black ring)
Hot Tamale Chalice
Red/Orange Capricornis (I got hooked up with this piece for free with the purchase of the two palys...the mother colony looked awesome)

Attachments

• IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2467.jpg
    IMG_2467.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 137
awesome thread! makes me wish I had the know-how to do a reef tank. SW is just intimidating to me for some reason...anyway, congrats on fatherhood! :) I have two and love every minute of it

Thank you. RedSoxFan, you shouldn't let saltwater intimidate you. I think saltwater gets a bad rap for being "too much work" and "too hard to keep things alive" however its not too much work or too hard. Most of those sayings come from people who have never had a saltwater tank or never took them time to read or find a website like this to learn stuff before or while attempting saltwater. If the "know-how" is the only thing holding you back from doing a reef tank, then I think you should start one up and just continue to ask lots of questions on here... you wont be disappointed. Reef tanks are very fun and beautiful

Back
Top Bottom