Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2009, 02:31 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

It is hard for me to take a picture of the plumbing inside the tank because the back acrylic panel is black. Here is a picture where you can kind of see how the return comes out of my overflows and then 90s over the top of the tank and back in then I used 3" locline. I had the returns come up through my overflows this way there is no plumbing behind the tank at all, it looks clean.
In the other picture you can see my new Lumenarc reflectors and I am in the process of adding 2x 60" VHO bulbs for supplemental actinic. I have to lower the VHO lamps down off the canopy even with the Lumenarcs. I will be putting the VHO lamps one in front of the reflectors and then one behind the reflectors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	16860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	16861  

Name:	IMG_1809.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	16862  

Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I want to order a 180 gal Acrylic tank same size as you 72x24x24, but what is the thickness of the tank? They told me 0.6 inch as thickness, is that enough?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshari View Post
I want to order a 180 gal Acrylic tank same size as you 72x24x24, but what is the thickness of the tank? They told me 0.6 inch as thickness, is that enough?
That is just over 1/2" thick. I would think that is enough for a tank that size.

Your project seems to becoming along nicely!! Can't wait to see how it looks with the canopy on and lit up!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshari View Post
Yes that is enough. 1/2" all the way around is ok for those demensions. Mine is 1/2" on the sides and bottom and 3/4" on the top. I did this so they could make bigger access openings.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
That is just over 1/2" thick. I would think that is enough for a tank that size.

Your project seems to becoming along nicely!! Can't wait to see how it looks with the canopy on and lit up!

Thanks Ziggy, I can't wait too. I added another 20-amp circuit right there to the wall where my fish tank is. The only other thing on that 20-amp is my refrigerator. I should be able to get an additional 400-500 watts out of this which should be just enough.
The other circuit I am using is a 15-amp shared with my tv and a couple lights in the room, so I went to home depot and got those CF bulbs that run at way less watts just to save more electricity for my tank. I got a 60-watt equivalent bulb that runs at 13-watts. I am really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Tonight I'm going back to Home depot to get 20-watt bulbs to replace the series of 40-watt bulbs that is in my fan (which is also on that 15amp)
Hopefully they make those in CF too then they would be even less than 20-watts each.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I got my lighting done tonight. 2-Lumenarc mini reflectors, 2-Ushio 10k on a dual electronic Galaxy ballast. 2-140 watt super actinic VHO and 2-4" fans in the canopy.
This is my first time with halides, I knew halides got hot, but I didn't realize they got THAT HOT. I am a little worried now that I need to buy a chiller:-| Not too happy about that. I was planning on putting my base rock/ sand in the tank and getting started, but now I am wodering if I should do a dry ahhh wet... run first with freshwater to see how much the temperature rises.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1811.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	16889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1810.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	16890  

Old 01-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Are the fans blowing air into or out of the canopy?

I have a lot of light on my tank and with the use of fans I don't need a chiller. My tank temp rarely gets over 82.5 and that's with a wood stove heating the house. I think you should be fine with the fans.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I have one blowing in and one blowing out. I am thinking of pointing them both in and then drilling a bunch of small holes on top of the canopy for heat to get out. However, I dont want it to look stupid with light beams shooting straight out the top.
My reflectors block half of the fan, so hopefully that won't be an issue, I guess the air has got to go somewhere.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The back of the canopy doesn't go all the way down to the top of the tank so you should have more then enough open area in the back to pull air in.

I have my fans mounted in the top of my canopy. 2 are blowing into the canopy and 1 is blowing out. I've been toying with the idea of having them all blow out since the back of my canopy is open.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:52 AM   #40
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I took most of yesterday to take everything (except for substrate) out of my 75-gallon and put it into my new 180-gallon. I did not place any of the corals yet, I have them spread out on the sand for now. I will probably keep the coral down there for awhile since they are going from all VHO lighting to 250-watt halides with lumenarc reflectors. That should be a huge difference for them, so I will keep them on the bottom and start off by only running my halides for about 2-hours a day and slowly increase the time up to 8-hours a day. Finally my little sps frags have the chance to GROW beyond snail speed.
I also have not completely finished my aquascaping but at least the foundation is laid. You can see my rock is a mixture of base rock and live rock. Eventually the base rock will match the color of the LR and look better. This picture is with the flash on and full lights on. The other picture is with no flash and actinic only.
So far I have an instant cycle as I planned, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	16982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1815.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	16983  

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	16984  

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com