Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #411
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
Did you have an underwater camera? Nice sunset.
No, I thought about it and should have done it. As far as fish goes I saw tons while snorkeling, but was able to identify:
Achilles Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Lavender Tang
Convict Tang
Kole Tang
Moorish Idol
Auriga/Threadfin Butterflyfish
Ornate Butterflyfish
Spotted Puffer fish
Some other puffer fish
Assorted Wrasses
Assorted Damsels, mostly Sgt. Mjr Damsels
A pipefish
Blenny or Goby, not sure which it was

The coral I saw was a little disappointing, mainly Pocillopora and Porites.
I went to the Waikiki Aquarium and saw some coral there. They had some staghorn acropora, but said that the islands don't have staghorn. I didn't know that.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #412
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Jimbo and Aquarium1, thanks, I had a great time. However, I now have a year and a half old baby and that was definitely rough. I could not relax as much as I typically do. My wife and I had to constantly monitor him. And the plane ride there ooohhhhhhh just be glad you were not the ones sitting in front of us. That was a long 6-hours.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #413
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Jimbo and Aquarium1, thanks, I had a great time. However, I now have a year and a half old baby and that was definitely rough. I could not relax as much as I typically do. My wife and I had to constantly monitor him. And the plane ride there ooohhhhhhh just be glad you were not the ones sitting in front of us. That was a long 6-hours.
lol, but didnt you know, 6 hours is like a 24 hour ride to him with crabs pinching him at the same time. A 10 min ride in the car by itself was a nightmare with my nephew.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #414
AA Team Emeritus

I found this while you were gone and made a thread about it, but it seems we are the only two SPS nuts around these parts. I'm thinking you definitely have room in your tank
Acro76's Red and Blue Tabletop!*::*Acropora frags*::*Small polyp stonys*::*Cherry Corals
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #415
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
I found this while you were gone and made a thread about it, but it seems we are the only two SPS nuts around these parts. I'm thinking you definitely have room in your tank
I chose to pretend i didn't see it. It is easier that way.

Very nice as always ryshark.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:40 AM   #416
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
lol, but didnt you know, 6 hours is like a 24 hour ride to him with crabs pinching him at the same time. A 10 min ride in the car by itself was a nightmare with my nephew.
Thats very true....considering that, he was good
Old 08-29-2010, 01:44 AM   #417
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Acro76's Red and Blue Tabletop!*::*Acropora frags*::*Small polyp stonys*::*Cherry Corals
I didn't realize I had responses on my thread....sorry for the late delay.
WOW, that thing is AWESOME. Blue acro with Red polyps, I want it!!!!!
I'm going to find and read the thread you started on it.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:45 AM   #418
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I chose to pretend i didn't see it. It is easier that way.

Very nice as always ryshark.
Thank you, Pat
Old 09-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #419
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I know I need to stop talking and start doing when it comes to adding a 3rd main light source in my tank. Every day it is getting more and more apparent as my corals in certain areas are brown only on one side where they are not getting direct light from that angle.

My dilemma is that I have a 3/4" x 10" acrylic brace in the center of my tank so I cannot put a 3rd halide in the middle of my canopy because of heat on the acrylic. So I have decided to get LEDs. I was hoping to get something that was retrofit and plug'n'play, but unfortunately, I can't find anything like that which will be good for my situation. The retrofit Reef Brites are very nice, but I need something with optical lenses to provide the extra punch to penetrate through the acrylic center brace.

So I am going to have to DIY a LED set up. Mike at Rapid Led has provided very good customer service by quickly answering emails. Here is what we have come up with for my scenario. PLEASE feel free to comment any ideas, suggestions, concerns etc.

I need to cover a 24"x24" area in the center of my 72"x24"x24" tank. My canopy measures 16" from the underside of the canopy to the surface of the water. To fulfill these needs I am thinking:

2- 5.9"x9" heatsinks which I would probably put together, essentially making 1- 12"x9" heatsink.

I will put 12-LEDs in each heatsink for a total of 24-LEDs

I am leaning towards:
12 of the cool white XP-G with 45degree lenses and
12 of the royal blue XR-E with 40degree lenses.

I am going to get dimmable drivers

What do you think?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #420
AA Team Emeritus

sounds good to me, how far above the tank will it be and how close are you going to have the LEDs? You might want to do some trig to make sure you aren't getting too much spotlighting.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com