Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #491
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Not very ethical or "green", but it killed a good 30 minutes of class whilst I wandered through the idea. :p
That sounds familiar from when I was in college. Except I wasn't reefing then (7-years ago) but I had other interest to wander through to kill 30-minutes.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #492
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Working...no... at work with an internet connection... yes. Yeah it does seem that PAR is not a good measure of how effective LEDs are but i'm not sure how else to compare them.
I'm not in a rush to track the PAR meter, although it would be interesting. However, I just found out I must get a multimeter. I've never even heard of a multimeter.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #493
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Its been awhile since I have posted, but I'm back now, and I am well aware of what a multimeter is now. In the past month I finished 2-projects. 1. Adding some nice shelf rock to the tank in-between the ilsands to make more realestate for coral and 2. Provide a 3rd light source over the tank in-between my 2-halides, over my new shelves.
Here is what I added to the middle of my tank.

Here is my DIY LEDs wired up without optics/lenses.

All wired up here with optics/lenses, hanging kit and splash guard installed, along with 3x meanwell dimmable ballasts.

I secured a fan on top by drilling a couple small holes in the sides of the heatsink and using zipties to securely hold the fan in place. I came up with this idea, because I think it makes it easy to change the fan out.

Lights ON, controlled by my Neptune APEX

Mounted in my canopy, and I was able to move my Halides closer to the sides since I finally have that 3rd light source in the middle. I couldn't use another halide because of the acrylic center brace. I needed something which is powerful, but does not put out heat.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #494
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Nice job on the LED's. How many and what kind of drivers are you using?
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #495
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Nice job on the LED's. How many and what kind of drivers are you using?
Thanks ccCapt!
I am using:
8.5"x12" heat sink
XP-G White x12
XR-E Blue x24
Meanwell Dimmable Drivers x3

I'm glad I went with twice as many blue as white, the XP-G white are very bright. We will see how things go with the LEDs and SPS. If all works well, I may consider adding 2-more LED setups and take the halide/reflectors out. But not yet, for now this is simply because I could not have a halide over the 10"-wide by 3/4"-thick acrylic center brace.... as you can see in my last pic.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #496
AA Team Emeritus

Should post some FTS's of both halides on, just LEDS on and all on. It will be interesting to see the difference. Looks good man, I really like that shelf rock you put up.
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:57 PM   #497
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Should post some FTS's of both halides on, just LEDS on and all on. It will be interesting to see the difference. Looks good man, I really like that shelf rock you put up.
Thanks, I will get those pics soon.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #498
Aquarium Advice Addict

i like to selection of LEDs myself, love the color the pictures show, even if its not how they look in person
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 AM   #499
Aquarium Advice Regular

That's looking great keep it up real nice
Old 12-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #500
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreamInSaltwater View Post
i like to selection of LEDs myself, love the color the pictures show, even if its not how they look in person
Thanks, I would say the color looks to be around the 14k area and I am runing my Whites at 80% and my Blues at 100%

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com