180-Gallon Upgrade Starts NOW!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys, believe it or not I don't have a lot of pics of coral, "frags" under the LEDs yet; and I actually sold the frags that I was doing the experiment with. However, I will tell my experience/observations. From the picture on this page with 3-frags, the Willy Mille (of the left in the pic) I accidently broke a big piece off of it. I put one piece directly under the LEDs and the other under the Halides. The piece under the LEDs actually held color better than the piece under the Halides. I ended up selling the accidental frag and then moved the other piece of it under the LEDs. Another example I have is with my Ultimate Efflo. For a very long time I had it under Halide light only and it wasn't doing a whole lot and stayed kinda brown. After moving it under the LEDs with a little halide light, I am seeing some explosive growth and colors like purple showing up now. I don't know if it is coincidence or not. The jury is still out, however, I feel that good LEDs can grow and keep color in sps.

I am most certain that LED lighting is suitable for SPS. If you know of nineball, who has a 1350g tank in Canada, he has converted his entire tank to Orphek LEDs and has without doubt the best tank I have ever seen. He goes over the top though and has a staff for his tank...measures/graphs PAR readings, tests for things I didn't even know existed.

But yea, so long as you bite the bullet on the initial price your LEDs should do great.

6/2010
img_1409829_0_183974da6bc7e08389e96bf0e21c27f4.jpg

6/2011
img_1409829_1_4cb5950c727f2123de0cb9c05223f969.jpg

Back
Top Bottom