Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #541
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Yes! Thats what I remember and what made me want to get some colored sticks. When comparing the first pics to the last pic I see the birdsnest looks much more pink on the last pic. Is that color temp with differen lights or just a happier birdsnest? What bulbs are you running in the last picture, in comparison to the first picture? To my eyes, the bottom picture on the left side of the tank is the most appealing color.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 AM   #542
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The bottom pic: Dual 175w (10,000k XM) 220w VHO Actinic and 108w T5HO Actinic. (The MH on the right side was not on when I took this pic. It was early in the day.)

That last pic is just before the upgrade to the 120 and I had fine tuned everything. All the corals were doing really well, color looked great, polyp extension was awesome and growth was insane.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #543
Aquarium Advice Addict

lovin the tank man
Old 12-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #544
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
The bottom pic: Dual 175w (10,000k XM) 220w VHO Actinic and 108w T5HO Actinic. (The MH on the right side was not on when I took this pic. It was early in the day.)

That last pic is just before the upgrade to the 120 and I had fine tuned everything. All the corals were doing really well, color looked great, polyp extension was awesome and growth was insane.
Lots of Actinic made those 10k halides look very nice. I am cutting back on electricity and space used in my canopy and have been using a 20k bulb with no actinic.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #545
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonkey View Post
lovin the tank man
Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:15 AM   #546
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
I think the frag experiment will tell you more than a par meter or any other type of measuring device you could find.
I don't have any good pictures yet, but from what I am seeing from the frag experiment is very promising. Surprsingly the colors on the Tenuis experiment frag are looking really good.
About a week ago I put a small frag of my Pink Lemonade under the LEDs too...for another experiment. It was a piece which accidently broke off the mother colony (which is looking great under halides) then that piece did not receive enough light for awhile and browned out. I put it on a frag plug under the LEDs and it is starting to color up again.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #547
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Wow....LEDs are super powerful. I have mine penetrating through a 3/4" piece of acrylic full of saltcreep and still have to be careful not to bleach coral from blasting them with too much light to quickly. Here is my experiment frags.... I should have taken before pictures of the Acropora Tenuis Frags, that would made a difference with determining growth rates an color. But I did not, however what I can tell you is that both of the pieces are from the same mother colony and started out as brown colored. Under both lights in "high" lighting they developed intense blue tips which is hard to capture in the picture and a green base/core color. I moved them to the frag rack so they would be closer to the camera for better pictures. (I still haven't bought a macro lens)
My conclusion is that the LEDs work great for sps.

Under the Halides

Under pure LEDs
Old 02-05-2011, 11:34 AM   #548
Aquarium Advice Addict

wow! the LED ones have much blue-er tips!

new fts plz kthx =]
Old 02-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #549
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreamInSaltwater View Post
wow! the LED ones have much blue-er tips!

new fts plz kthx =]
If I was to start over, I would definitely consider going 100% LED.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #550
Aquarium Advice Addict

im sure you could in time replace the halides with the same LED fixture and have 3, less expensive too id imagine

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com