Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #81
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I have been in this aquarium hobby for almost 2-years now and the entire time I have been buying Natrual Seawater for my partial water changes. Here in California, many of the LFS sell water that was pumped in from the ocean and filtered. It doens't really have an abundance of extra trace elements that is good for coral in a captive environment. So I have finally decided to make the switch to making my own synthetic saltwater. The main thing that held me back in the past was that my RO unit was upstairs in one of the bathrooms. It would have been a huge pain to make enough gallons of water for a pwc upstairs and then have to bring it down to mix it.
However, my bro-in-law said he would help me move the RODI unit into the garage and tie it into the water heater. We got around to doing this today, now I finally have a cool setup as you can see below. We tied it into the copper pipe with a brass T-valve. I purchased this last night which is a smoking deal because aquacave wanted $40 plus shipping for what I think is the exact same thing. http://cgi.ebay.com/HM-DM-1-Inline-D...DLVI%26ps%3D54
I look forward to getting this and adding it in. If you are wondering why the DI-chambers are just hanging there its because I tried to get them as vertical as possible instead of using the horizontal bracket that I am supposed to use with it.

In regards to saltmix choice I have decided to go with Tropic Marin Pro Reef for now. I have also heard good things about D-D H2Ocean, so I may give that a shot too. The only drawback is these two are the most expensive. I am thinking about mixing the TM Pro Reef with a cheaper salt maybe 50/50. What salt mix have you had luck with for a reef tank?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2687.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	18982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	18983  

Old 05-25-2009, 04:59 PM   #82
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I use Reef Crystals and have no complaints about it. I've switched to a few other brands but always come back to RC.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #83
Aquarium Advice Activist

Are you worried about the copper in the pipes affecting any of your inverts? I have no experience with salt water but I thought I had heard that copper, even in trace amounts, was bad for shrimps and the like.

I'm sure you've checked it out already and are satisfied that it won't be a problem but I'm curious to learn more about just how dangerous copper is to reef tanks.
spilzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #84
Thanx but no.....

Hopefully you ties that into cold water supply. Warm/hot water and RO membranes don't go well together.

Regarding the copper comment; trace your water coming out of the tap and try and find a place where it hasn't run thru copper pipe. At least in my house, the supply line is copper from the street and all the internal piping is copper.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:30 PM   #85
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Very good question regarding the copper, because copper will kill a reef tank quickly. In fact I purposely mentioned the word copper because I was hoping somebody would say something about it. I am not 100-percent sure but I believe my 6-stage rodi unit should......BETTER, take the copper out. It is hooked up to the cold water copper pipe on the water heater. I ordered a dual stage inline tds meter so I will not make any water until that arrives. I do believe that the pipes in my house are all copper and the unit was upstairs, so I am assuming everything will be fine, because it was before. Anybody else want to chime in on this one?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #86
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ah, yes, that totally makes sense. I forgot that the copper was BEFORE the RO/DI unit. I bet it'll be fine.
spilzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:04 AM   #87
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I switched from regular instant ocean to tropic marin. Good stuff I am gonna stick with it for a whilte.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #88
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Did you switch to the regular Tropic Marin or the Pro Reef?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I switched from instant ocean to the regular TM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 AM   #90
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I picked up a few more corals today. I am sticking with the designer named corals from here on out. Here is the Tyree Pink Lemonade and the Tyree Seasons Greetings, both pieces with lineage. Its nice the guys involved with reeffarmers are from so cal too.
On a side note, I pulled my fish out of the display to treat for ich. I had a heck of a time catching the powder brown tang, infact I had to take most of my rocks out and stack them in the sump. Now I need to reaquascape... Oh well, I have a little bit different design in mind for when I decide to put it back together. This will be the last time I pull my fish out of the display to put them into a hospital! I will continue to QT every new fish, but if I still get crypt again somehow.... it is what it is and I will let it runs its course. For now I have them stressed out in a QT and I am trying the Quinine Sulfate treatment recommended by wetwebmedia.
Now for the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2735.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	19060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2736.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	19061  

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com