180-Gallon Upgrade Starts NOW!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm here too, but have no corals "yet" unless you count a rock that I've finally learned how not to kill off the remaining zoas and a on the run xenia...just reading about everyone elses interesting finds :)

You are off to a good start, zoas and xenia are coral. Becareful with the xenia, it can take over

I'm always lurking on your thread. I like your taste in coral and they always have fantastic color so i keep an eye on your tanks. I've considered moving out to CA for the girls and the coral.

Thanks for the words on my coral and tank. I think every state has its downfalls. But we are spoiled with coral events in Southern CA, they are pretty fun. Beats going to any LFS in my opinion

Okay, so as I did with Ziggy's thread, I have read through this whole thing, and now I'm even more stoked to get my 75 going! I've just barely gotten my feet wet as-is. My 20 has some green star polyps that have already started growing and a small zoa that I couldn't ID if I tried, lol. Its probably nothing special though. I want a Hawkins even more now than I did after reading his! Lol.

So, I'm officially tagging along now! Can't wait for even more progress!

Okay, so as I did with Ziggy's thread, I have read through this whole thing, and now I'm even more stoked to get my 75 going! I've just barely gotten my feet wet as-is. My 20 has some green star polyps that have already started growing and a small zoa that I couldn't ID if I tried, lol. Its probably nothing special though. I want a Hawkins even more now than I did after reading his! Lol.

So, I'm officially tagging along now! Can't wait for even more progress!

Wow, both of our entire threads? Really? That is awesome(y)
If you have any questions building your 75, which I'm sure you will.... please feel free to ask. What is your plan as far as fish and coral type?

I need to get some good pics of my corals. I have so many random ones in my 20g and 7.5g. For some reason, my camera has begun taking awful pictures of the corals. Maybe its the lighting it doesnt like? Wont focus despite having a macro setting...

Oh boy does it hate the led lighting!

Matt

Wow, both of our entire threads? Really? That is awesome(y)
If you have any questions building your 75, which I'm sure you will.... please feel free to ask. What is your plan as far as fish and coral type?

Yup! I'm like a sponge absorbing knowledge at this point, reading as much as I can, lol.

I'll be sure to! As far as fish & corals go, I am going to move the contents of my 10 into the 75 and go from there. What I have in the 10 now includes:
1x Green Spotted Puffer (2.5")
1x Purple Firefish (2.5")
6-9x Assorted Hermits
2x Bumblebee Snails
1x Mexican Turbo Snail
1x Astrea Snail (the GSP keeps eating them, so I don't worry about keeping them stocked)

I just got back from Chicago, and while i was gone, lost my Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and my Emerald Crab. Quite sad about those losses. Now I need to do some major PWCs to get the nitrates under control again. (All of the levels had been steadily good though for being a young tank - started it on May 19.) The tank is under incandescent lighting, so I'm having problems keeping the temp under control. It runs around 80-84 during the day (obviously hotter near the end of photo cycle), and down below 80 at night. When I tried keeping a fan on it 24/7, it wouldn't get above 82, but would go below 75 at night. Obviously not a good situation. So, my newest attempt to keep it under control is to have a fan over the top of the tank during the day, but turn it away at night. Hopefully this will remedy the problem.

I know the best way to fix it is to get proper SW lighting, but neither my wallet nor my girlfriend's (the tanks are ours) can take that kind of dent right now.

Anyways, back to the setup of the 75... I'll be running 2x 65W 50/50 and 2x 65W Actinic over it to get started, with an eventual upgrade to MH probably. I'll have two canister filters going also, a Fluval 203 and a Fluval 305. That is assuming all I have to do to get the 203 running is to replace the impeller. If that doesn't work, I'll probably get a Remora HOB skimmer. I may eventually turn my 30 gal tank into a sump for it and go that route, but I'll stick with what I have available at this point to save money.

Stock list aside from the contents of the 10 gal:
2x Semi-Picasso Clowns (girl fell in love with them)
1x Green Mandarin Dragonet (after a year of the tank running)
1x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
1x Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse
2x Banggai Cardinal
1x Diamond Watchman Goby (Valencienna strigata)
1x Yellow Belly Blue Tang

Inverts:
1x RBTA
2x Emerald Crabs
1x Porcelain Crab
2x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
2x Sand-sifting Star
1x Blue Linkia Star
20x Hermits
6x Mexican Turbo Snail
10x Bumblebee Snail

Corals:
Green Star Polyps
Fuzzy Mushrooms
Kenya Trees
I want mostly SPS, but I know with PCs, I'm pretty limited. What would you guys suggest?

Of course, this is a pretty rough stock list at this point, suggestions are 100% welcome. This tank is not going to be the final resting place of this reef, it'll eventually be moved to a 180. So, hopefully that means I'll be able to get fish that normally wouldn't be able to fit with the intention of moving them up, maybe that isn't a good idea though. I'm obviously still new lol. Thanks! :)

Yup! I'm like a sponge absorbing knowledge at this point, reading as much as I can, lol.

I'll be sure to! As far as fish & corals go, I am going to move the contents of my 10 into the 75 and go from there. What I have in the 10 now includes:
1x Green Spotted Puffer (2.5")
1x Purple Firefish (2.5")
6-9x Assorted Hermits
2x Bumblebee Snails
1x Mexican Turbo Snail
1x Astrea Snail (the GSP keeps eating them, so I don't worry about keeping them stocked)

I just got back from Chicago, and while i was gone, lost my Skunk Cleaner Shrimp and my Emerald Crab. Quite sad about those losses. Now I need to do some major PWCs to get the nitrates under control again. (All of the levels had been steadily good though for being a young tank - started it on May 19.) The tank is under incandescent lighting, so I'm having problems keeping the temp under control. It runs around 80-84 during the day (obviously hotter near the end of photo cycle), and down below 80 at night. When I tried keeping a fan on it 24/7, it wouldn't get above 82, but would go below 75 at night. Obviously not a good situation. So, my newest attempt to keep it under control is to have a fan over the top of the tank during the day, but turn it away at night. Hopefully this will remedy the problem.

I know the best way to fix it is to get proper SW lighting, but neither my wallet nor my girlfriend's (the tanks are ours) can take that kind of dent right now.

Anyways, back to the setup of the 75... I'll be running 2x 65W 50/50 and 2x 65W Actinic over it to get started, with an eventual upgrade to MH probably. I'll have two canister filters going also, a Fluval 203 and a Fluval 305. That is assuming all I have to do to get the 203 running is to replace the impeller. If that doesn't work, I'll probably get a Remora HOB skimmer. I may eventually turn my 30 gal tank into a sump for it and go that route, but I'll stick with what I have available at this point to save money.

Stock list aside from the contents of the 10 gal:
2x Semi-Picasso Clowns (girl fell in love with them)
1x Green Mandarin Dragonet (after a year of the tank running)
1x McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
1x Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse
2x Banggai Cardinal
1x Diamond Watchman Goby (Valencienna strigata)
1x Yellow Belly Blue Tang

Inverts:
1x RBTA
2x Emerald Crabs
1x Porcelain Crab
2x Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
2x Sand-sifting Star
1x Blue Linkia Star
20x Hermits
6x Mexican Turbo Snail
10x Bumblebee Snail

Corals:
Green Star Polyps
Fuzzy Mushrooms
Kenya Trees
I want mostly SPS, but I know with PCs, I'm pretty limited. What would you guys suggest?

Of course, this is a pretty rough stock list at this point, suggestions are 100% welcome. This tank is not going to be the final resting place of this reef, it'll eventually be moved to a 180. So, hopefully that means I'll be able to get fish that normally wouldn't be able to fit with the intention of moving them up, maybe that isn't a good idea though. I'm obviously still new lol. Thanks! :)
I don't know if you are going to want that puffer in a reef tank.
As far as the temp control why don't you just plug the fan into the same timer as the lights? Problem solved.
Setting up a sump instead of the canister filter sounds like a good idea to me, then you can get a good skimmer and not have to worry about a HOB. With your fish list you are definitely going to want a decent skimmer....especially since you want mostly sps. Also if you want mostly sps you may want to limit or eliminate the soft coral.
It is not good to buy fish which get too big for your current setup, with the intention of upgrading someday.
With those wrasses you will need something to stop them from jumping out.... some sort of mesh/net. Don't waste your money on the PC lights, you will end up having to upgrade them anyway when you get into sps.

I see you are from St. Louis. I just got back from there a few weeks ago. I went with some friends to catch a Dodgers game, check out Busch Stadium, do the Busch Brewery tour, went up to the top of the Arch, ate at a VERY good rib place called Pappy's Smokehouse, ended up in East St. Louis, Illinois one night, listened to some good live blues music, etc. It was a good few days.

Okay, I'll break your post up into smaller parts so I can address them more specifically!

I don't know if you are going to want that puffer in a reef tank.
As far as the temp control why don't you just plug the fan into the same timer as the lights? Problem solved.

I've been wondering about the puffer actually. I wish I had a controller, but my lights on both tanks are currently controlled by humans.

Setting up a sump instead of the canister filter sounds like a good idea to me, then you can get a good skimmer and not have to worry about a HOB. With your fish list you are definitely going to want a decent skimmer....especially since you want mostly sps. Also if you want mostly sps you may want to limit or eliminate the soft coral.

Alright, ya sold me. I'll just start off with the sump. The 30 is just sitting around anyways. Then I can do a fuge and have an Octopus! :) I would definitely like to have some Green Star Polyps, I love the way they look. I can live without the Kenya Trees for sure.

It is not good to buy fish which get too big for your current setup, with the intention of upgrading someday.
With those wrasses you will need something to stop them from jumping out.... some sort of mesh/net.

Alright, good to know. As far as the net goes, would you suggest something like Greenmaster did with his tank, or do you have another, more simple option? I'm not the most crafty person, lol.

Don't waste your money on the PC lights, you will end up having to upgrade them anyway when you get into sps.

Okay, this, coupled with the choice to go with the sump, has caused me to re-think what I'm buying from the LFS. For $300, I'm getting the 75 glass (NOT reef-ready), stand, Fluval 305, and the used Coralife PC 260W fixture. So, $150 is the tank and stand, $150 is the light and filter. So, I could probably change the $150 over to a hood for MH, bulbs, and reflectors. Hopefully. Who knows what I'll be able to get out of them, especially if it is used stuff.

I see you are from St. Louis. I just got back from there a few weeks ago. I went with some friends to catch a Dodgers game, check out Busch Stadium, do the Busch Brewery tour, went up to the top of the Arch, ate at a VERY good rib place called Pappy's Smokehouse, ended up in East St. Louis, Illinois one night, listened to some good live blues music, etc. It was a good few days.

Yup, born and raised! Ah, sounds like you had quite the fun trip! My girlfriend and I have been trying to find time to go to Pappy's since we heard about it on Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel. Crazy, we've both lived here all this time and had never heard of it! We'll have to go soon. I'm surprised you didn't get shot on the East Side, lol. Scary place, East St. Louis.

Okay, I'll break your post up into smaller parts so I can address them more specifically!

I've been wondering about the puffer actually. I wish I had a controller, but my lights on both tanks are currently controlled by humans.

Alright, ya sold me. I'll just start off with the sump. The 30 is just sitting around anyways. Then I can do a fuge and have an Octopus! :) I would definitely like to have some Green Star Polyps, I love the way they look. I can live without the Kenya Trees for sure. Definitely go with the sump and the Octopus skimmer. I started out my old 75-gallon with the Octopus NW150 and it worked great. The GSP should be fine.

Alright, good to know. As far as the net goes, would you suggest something like Greenmaster did with his tank, or do you have another, more simple option? I'm not the most crafty person, lol.
Look into this for the net, I need to catch up on what Greenmaster did...is it the same? Clear 1/4" Screen Netting 6.5' x 2.5' - English

Okay, this, coupled with the choice to go with the sump, has caused me to re-think what I'm buying from the LFS. For $300, I'm getting the 75 glass (NOT reef-ready), stand, Fluval 305, and the used Coralife PC 260W fixture. So, $150 is the tank and stand, $150 is the light and filter. So, I could probably change the $150 over to a hood for MH, bulbs, and reflectors. Hopefully. Who knows what I'll be able to get out of them, especially if it is used stuff.
Get the tank and stand for $150, put the other half towards other stuff so you don't make the same mistake I did and have to replace everything later. Do it right the first time... its cheaper in the long run.

Yup, born and raised! Ah, sounds like you had quite the fun trip! My girlfriend and I have been trying to find time to go to Pappy's since we heard about it on Man vs. Food on the Travel Channel. Crazy, we've both lived here all this time and had never heard of it! We'll have to go soon. I'm surprised you didn't get shot on the East Side, lol. Scary place, East St. Louis.
Find the time to go to Pappy's... we had to wait in a long line, but it was worth it. The ribs and the sweet pototo fries are real good. The pulled pork and deep fried corn on the cob was average.

Luckily it all worked out fine. And to think my friends were walking around asking people for a diner to get some food at 2am.

But at the same time would the light not be weaker from reflectinf further rendering them useless? PAR measuring time!

I was thinking that too, I found on reefspecialty website some PAR readings. Look pretty good. But nobody mentions how many inches they can cover. I will probably still put an LED setup in the middle and maybe some day trade out my Lumenarc mini's for the new Lumenbright Wides.

So you are saying use 2- of those to cover my 6" tank? I will look into them, thanks.
Whichever reflectors you used would have to be mounted pretty high for 2 to cover a 6' tank.

This may help. It's Sanjays latest reflector test.
Product Review: Analyzing Reflectors: Lumenbrite III, Lumenmax Elite, Lumenmax, and Lumenarc III | Advanced Aquarist's Online Magazine
"The reflectors seem to fall into 2 separate groups, Group 1, the Lumenarc and the Lumenmax and Group 2 comprising Lumen Brite and Lumenmax Elite. The Group 1 reflectors seem to be better at providing a wider coverage, whereas the group 2 reflectors tend to focus the light slightly more creating higher peak values and smaller spread."

"The Lumenarc III and the Lumenmax reflectors provide a large area of light coverage and hence are more suitable for tanks wider than 3 ft. The reflector will be able to provide a higher intensity deeper in the tank, thus making it a better choice for someone looking to light a wide tank that is deeper than 30", or for providing the ability to grow higher light corals lower in the tank."

"The Lumenbrite and Lumenmax elite are more suitable for tanks 3ft or less in width. They tend to provide a more focused coverage and higher peak values than the Lumenmax and Lumenarc reflectors. This can allow for better use in taller tanks, as more light can reach the bottom, or allow for higher placement of the lights thus reducing the heat dissipating in the water, or allow for higher light values to be obtained lower in the tank."

Last edited:
I just got back home tonight from being in Hawaii for a week.:cool: My tank lights are off so I will need to wait until tomorrow to see if my coral is not brown, before posting more pictures. I still see lots of PE on the coral and my Achilles is still swimming.:) Speaking of Achilles. I had the opportunity to swim with them in the wild. It was awesome. While snorkling I could always tell when I was going to start feeling waves crashing down on top of me becaue thats where I would start seeing the Achilles Tangs. These fish really do love to hang out in the turbulent high oxygen water. It was very cool to see reef fish doing their thing in the ocean and very fun to be able to identify most of them. Anyway, landing in LAX sucked tonight and took forever from the time our plane touched ground to the time we actually got off the plane, got luggage and got home..... so I am tired and will update more later.

Back
Top Bottom