Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

180-Gallon Upgrade Starts NOW!!!

Currently I have a 75-gallon tank which I am running out of room for new coral and my blue hippo tang is starting to out grow it. My wife has known for the past 6-months or so that I want to eventually upgrade to a 180-gallon tank. I figured I would take on that project in about a year from now. However, my pregnant wife (first baby) came up to me a week ago and said that if I am going to upgrade she would rather I do it now before the baby comes (due January 29th) "so I won't be focusing all my attention on the fish when I upgrade in a year from now." I don't know if that would really have been the case but I didn't argue.

After much thought and research I decided to go with an acrylic tank since I live in California. I already ordered the Stand and Canopy. I also ordered the tank yesterday and the picture below is what I came up with. Please let me know what you think because it is not too late for me to change it up. I chose to go with 2-overflows and with a 3/4" return coming through the overflow which I will plumb to either the two holes in the center/top of the tank or the holes on the sides of the tank. My drain holes are 1.5" and I am going with a black back. I also upgraded the thickness of the acrylic on the top of the tank so I can have bigger access openings. Let me know what you think, because as I said I have until tomorrow to change anything. This is a top down, birds eye view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	180 upgrade.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	16351  

Old 11-26-2008, 01:32 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
That looks good. The only thing I can think of is you have 4 aux holes? Assuming that's for a closed loop, is your plan 1 for intake and 3 output?

Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
That looks good. The only thing I can think of is you have 4 aux holes? Assuming that's for a closed loop, is your plan 1 for intake and 3 output?

Those 4-holes are on the top panel of the acrylic not the back. The reason for the two extra holes is 2 things 1. I'm not sure if I want to plumb my return lines through the overflow and over to the middle two holes with lockline going into the water or plumb them to the sides of the tank into the outside holes. So I figured I will have them cut both sets so if I change my mind I am still ok. 2. I will probably have the return pipe plumbed into the middle holes and then I will put powerheads on the side and I figured I can put the plug/cord from the powerhead through those holes on the side.

Cccapt- a couple days ago I was looking at your build thread and how you managed to move the 75 and put the new tank in its spot. I am going to have to do the same.... breakdown the 75 move it and rebuild it somewhere else. Then I can put the 180 in its spot and start plumbing etc etc.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

I got a few things from Marinedepot that arrived today. As you can see below I got the Caribsea South Seas Base Rock 40lbs, they price matched another online fish site and I am VERY pleased with this rock. I only got 40lbs because I wanted to see how it looked first. I plan on getting another 80lbs of this stuff, which comes out to roughly $1.74 per pound after shipping and everything.
I also got an Eheim 1262 for my return pump. I have heard many good things about this pump, I hope it lives up to its expectations.
Finally I got 2x 4" fans for my canopy to keep the metal halides as cool as possible.
I ordered my tank stand/canopy and tank 3-weeks ago, I am starting to lose patients now. I will call the LFS tomorrow to see what is going on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1776.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	16557   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1768.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	16558  

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	16559   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1770.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	16560  

Old 12-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Today, I had to relocate my aquarium to another part of the room in order to clear up the wall where the new tank is going. This whole process took me about 8-hours which was a little longer than I thought. I transfered everything into a 50-gallon rubbermaid container and a 15-gallon container, relocated the stand/tank about 10-feet away and then built it back up again. I was as careful as possible not to stir up the sandbed which may have caused big issues. So far so good.
Below is also a picture of my 180-gallon still in the bag. I picked it up yesterday along with the new stand and canopy. When I got home I realized that they gave me the wrong stand. I had to take it back today and the correct stand won't be in for over a week. This was very dissapointing because I wanted to have everything done by X-Mas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1778.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	16572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1779.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	16573  

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	16574   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	16575  

Old 12-14-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Bummer about the stand. New tank looks good tho.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Bummer about the stand. New tank looks good tho.

Before I started the relocate the tank project, I was thinking it would only take a few hours. In the back of my mind I remembered reading your build and how long it took. And ofcourse it ended up being an all day event for me as well. HUGE bummer about the stand, I was looking forward to getting things done, plus I already waited over 3-weeks for that stand and they couldn't get it right.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Good luck. Cant wait to see pics of it running.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Next dilemma, my wall where the 180 is going only has one 15amp circuit. The dining room behind the tank wall is on a different 20amp circuit, so I was going to pull the wire from the dining room through the wall and have a gfi receptical where my new tank is. However, I found that the 20amp circuit in my dining room is also connected to the microwave that runs at 1600watts and the refrigerator too. So I am going to have to have an electrician come out to put a dedicated 20amp circuit on my tank wall.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to cofano32
where didi you order your rock?

Tags
upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com