180 upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I put in for approval from the misses and it got accepted ;) on Friday I will be picking up a second hand 180 gal tank a 100 gal and a 60 gal all for $120.
So this build will be gradual and maybe a bit slow but it will be worth it.
I will be taking all the stuff out of my 55 and 20 once it's cycled. I already have the biggest investment lights I got 3 165 watt dimmable lights full spectrum
I need to buy a skimmer and return pumps and rock then I'll have water delivered to fill the tank :)

Yea I'm gonna sell my 55 and 20 last because they have some stock in them the 6 ft tank comes with a stand but I think I'll build a new one out of steel what sorta skimmer should I look at? All up the system will be 280 gallons

Just noticed your new thread!

I an running an ASM skimmer which I happen to LOVE! They are pretty cheap too and it skims like a beast! lol I literally empty tar like gunk every other day or threee out of the cup and it holds alot, way more than any other skimmer I have had. :)

Just an option instead of the usual, and expensive reef octopus models. lol

Yea I'm trying to price everything up right now I got my lights already so far iv got on my list of things I need as
Skimmer
Return pump
Overflow boxes
Refuge light
Heater
Rock
Water

Can you think of anything else?

That looks like a pretty good list, as i am sure you have the other stuff like refractometer, test kits etc....

Have you thought about how you will hang the lights? I have mine under a canopy as there are ALOT of wires and stuff related to them..are you thinking of making a canopy as well? Add on some timers too for the lighting, I have all my blues going to a single plug so i can control them separately from the whites...so 3 plugs to a three point split and then that single one goes into the timer.
:)

I got a refracto and test kits already from my other tanks timers are definatly gonna be on the list haha what size return pump should I look at roughly? I am thinking of getting the reef octopus super reef 3000 seems cheapish haha

Sorry for all the questions but I'm going dual over flows but how many gal per hour should I get?

I have dual overflows and am running a mag18 as a return pump. I also have 2 wp40's and a koralia 1050 for now.

If you can I would go for a higher return pump, mine barely has any flow after the head loss, I would have gone with a mag24 if I had the choice but I had the 18 already. lol

I'd also figure in some plumbing parts like a GOOD check valve for the backflow from the pump and a ball valve to tune in the pump. Unless you are going to go with a DC return pump that is adjustable. I've heard good things about them but they can be pricey.
Also, you should pick up at least a 10g tank, maybe even 20g tank for the water reservoir and an ATO. The amount of evaporation on that size tank is pretty high so you dont wanna be putting water in the sump every single day, sometimes twice.

Thanks Carey I'll look into a mag24 so would the overflows just have to match the return pump? The sump has nothing in it right now I'm gonna get a sheet of 1/2 inch glass and cut up some dividers and stuff

Turns out the 100 gal is already drilled and reef ready and the 60 is set up as a sump so might be a smaller upgrade then I thought

The 180 has a brace that has snapped in just gonna buy a new piece of glass and stick it in the 100 has 3 holes drilled in the base why do you think this is?

I'm gonna be down grading the upgrade to the 100 it's reef ready and it's probably a bit better for space in my house

Back
Top Bottom