180 upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm upgrading to a 180 and I had a few questions. Can anyone recommend a good calcium reactor (are these typically underated by manufacturers, like skimmers)

I want to put some retrofit PC lights under the canopy, does anyone know of any retrofit MH that you can put in this set up, would pendandts work?

Also, for 255 gallons (75 gallon is becoming the sump), can I get away with using an underated chiller (ie 1/10th or 1/5th)HP, or am I underestamating the heat that will build from the MH (probably 2 150 or 250, and 4x96 PC)

To achieve the 4 watt per gallon rule of thumb, you would need 720 watts worth of lights. Im not sure a pair of 150s with quad 96's are going to get you there. Close, but penetration is the key for such a large, deep tank. I would think a pair of 250W MH 10ks with the 4 x 96 actinic would be your minimum. Consider even a pair of 400 w MHs. Yes, you will be producing some serious heat and from a strictly electronic point of view, underrating your chiller will only cause it to overwork and eventually wear out. If your going to get one, get one rated for roughly 5 - 8 degrees of pull down for a tank slightly larger then your 180. Maybe some others with larger tanks will chime in.

Peace.

Thanks, I went ahead and got a double 96 from www.ahsupply.com and a coralife MHI / flourescent retrofit with 2 175 MH and 2 40 watt NO. So about 620 watts, or 3.5 wpg. I am holding off on the chiller option and am going to see how an open top with 4 fans on the canopy one side blowing and the other pulling air accross the surface, along with an open canopy sump. Evaporation should pose to be significant, but got an auto top off and a float switch w/ RO/DI coming. I figured that would be cheaper, now to see whether it will work or not...

Back
Top Bottom