180g stocking problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terryc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Would a 180g reef tank be able to cope with adding a lot of fish at once? About 15 in total. I know normally it's not a good idea but a friends tank has cracked and needs to find somewhere to put the fish until they can get another tank and our Lfs ain't great.
My tank currently has 2 maroon clowns and a leopard wrasse. It's been up and running for nearly a year now and has been doing really well, so don't want it to crash on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

it also depends on how old your tank is and if its able to take that big of a load at once
you could cause a large load that the tank may or may not be able to handle

The fish are 8 chromis, 1 orange spot goby, 1 regal angel, 1 naso tang, 3 small yellow tangs and a blue chin trigger. The tank has been running for about 11 months now. It's got about 200lbs of live rock.
I'm starting to think it's a bad idea.

It seems pretty risky to me. I have a 180g and I only have 10 fish total.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The fish are 1 regal angel, 1 naso tang, 3 small yellow tangs and a blue chin trigger.

these fish would cause me to give a red light as they are large fish and they would most likely tilt the scale load wise,

now these would probably be ok as they are small fish and probably wouldn't even touch the load and if they did barely at that
8 chromis, 1 orange spot goby,

Yeah, most of those are smallish, but that is a lot of load increase.If he is giving them to you to hold, you've got to look at whether its worth the risk and figure how you will get them back out. If they are to keep , I'd pick your favorites and try to add a few.

Yeah I decided against it. Wasn't worth crashing my tank. Thanks for the replies

Back
Top Bottom