1st 10 gallon sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know where to find an overflow box for a drilled tank??? I can't find them anywhere. I'm looking for one to keep livestock from going down the pipe and to hide the plumbing.

Look at bulkreefsupply.com they have lots of overflow boxes for predrilled tanks

Yea I looked there. Nice stuffed but 50+ bucks for a plastic box.... ill just make one. That's coral money!! So should I just leave the check valve off? I'm gonna go over the tank for the return. I'm also thinking of leaving the ball valve off cause that pump I have won't be to much flow. U can always add one if needed I'm putting detachable couplings on both pipes for maintenance and what not. Also with the return line will the water syphon down into the sump with a power outage when I have it run over the tank? Thanks

What method are you using to make the overflow and sump? Herbie or some other? If its herbie then you need a George fisher wye check valve on the return and a ball valve on the main overflow pipe and nothing on the other pipe that's there just incase so Your power goes out

Yea I'm still considering the herbie meathod. I was just gonna do a 1" standpipe drilled in the back of the tank. I may put 2 though.

If you do the herbie method it's fail proof and its ultra silent if you do it right

I'm not gonna have but about 300 gph Max running through my sump though.

It was made by a guy on this forum named herbie that's why it's called the herbie method and the method you see on that website is for tank that are over 150 or 200 gallons

Didn't know it came from this forum but that's pretty cool. You know where I can find some nicely illustrated pics of the herbie method I need for my 35 gallon? Also I hear the check valve is pretty much useless cause things can clog it over time and when power cuts off it doesn't fully close back Ans make a slow drain that is hard to notice. I'm just gonna over hang the return line. But as far as 2 pipes for my drain I can deal with that if it makes is quite and most importantly flood safe!

I'm going to work right now but when I get home in 9 hours ill post you some pics

Ok thanks. I've been looking around at some. I just dont really understand how having. The main drain so low wont flood the sump if the power goes out.

The ball valve on the main drain is what keeps the sump from flooding and it makes it quite

A lot of people don't do sumps for tanks under 40 gallons they do hob filters instead

I have a hob penguin power filter on there and I even made a half gallon DIY hang on fuge which I'm not gonna use. I want the stash place for my heater and Skimmer and chaeto algae. Plus the extra water volume. I may upgrade to a 350-400 gph return pump on my sump. Lfs said 10-15x water volume for a return pump and I wad told ob here by someone that 5-10x water volume is ideal for a 10 gallon sump with my size tank so I dunno. I'm just gonna use the one I got and see how she flows.

Back
Top Bottom