1st time coral suggestions, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone --

My tank's been up and running a year, and I'm starting to get the itch for some corals. I'd like to start easy, and not jump off the deep end with something that will be too expensive or too tough to keep. So, I have two questions:

1- Can you point me to a good resource that describes the various corals (hard and soft), perhaps even organize them by "difficulty", and

2- I'd welcome some suggestions for what to start with, or what you have had luck with when you started.

Thanks!
Matt

Thanks Lando (see my signature block for tank details). And thanks for the site -- looks like a good resource :)
Matt

Hmmm -- sorry, but this is wierd. I included it in my first post of this thread, and it still appears for me. I wonder if there is something up with the server? In any event, I've added it here again. And in case it's not included, I've got a 55 gal FOWLR with about 110# of LR and CurrentUSA ORBIT 4x65W PC with moonlights. Residents include 1 ea cleaner, fire, and pep shrimp, a kole tang, and 2 perculas.
Thanks!
Matt

Leathers and shrooms are pretty much my standard answer for "easy". Ricordias too. I've had pretty good luck with frogspawn and hammer on the bottom of a 75g with the same lights you have. Might try some feather dusters also. Not coral, but will also add to the visual beauty of the tank IMO. Check out Xenia (fast spreading), and some zoos.

I'd recommend Julian Sprung's coral book too for references on corals and care requirements.

That is pretty good lighting. You should be able to keep many soft corals and LPS corals as well.

Back
Top Bottom