2 cleaner shrimp deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themartins

Aquarium Advice Freak
We've had 2 cleaner shrimp die recently. It appears tha both shrimp were attacked after they had molted. With the most recent one a tiny emerald crab had one half while a peppermint shrimp had the other half. Do you think either of these could have been the problem? We still have 2 cleaner shrimp in the tank.

Skunk cleaner shrimp

Other tank mates - 3 P.J. cardinals, 2 Occelaris clownfish, 1 peppermint shrimp, lawnmower blenny, yasha hase goby, & red banded pistol shrimp (small emerald crab was moved to another tank)

Red banded pistols are very peaceful and grow up to 2". Im 99% sure thats not the reason unless he turns into a warewolf at night.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Red banded pistols are very peaceful and grow up to 2". Im 99% sure thats not the reason unless he turns into a warewolf at night.

Nothing else has the ability to kill the cleaners. Pistols hunt and kill cleaners in the wild. I vote pistol

Yes, I do hear snapping. No, I have never seen any aggression with the pistol shrimp and inverts. He just stays with the goby clearing out their home when I'm able to see them. The goby is quite skiddish and we only see him when we can watch them without being seen.

Possibly the pistol or maybee a hitchhiker mantis in lr I got a mantis come in on lr which also click red cellophane over a torch at night may help see what's lurking around. Not sayin ya got one but ya never know I didn't think I had one and they are NASTY

dont blame the pistol just yet. if those were your only shrimp id say it was him but because you have two left i think i know the issue. unfortunately skunk cleaners seem to kill other shrimp and prefer to stay in pairs. there was an article in a recent magazine that said even if allowed plenty of room and food they will still usually do this

One of the remaining cleaner shrimp molted a couple of days ago and is fine, so it appears that Classklown is correct. I had wondered about the pistol shrimp, though, as I did see it snap at one of the cleaner shrimp when it came close one night. It almost looked as if the goby was luring it toward the pistol shrimp.... All is well for now, though.

Thank you for your help in figuring this out.

Back
Top Bottom