Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2003, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

2 crabs

sorry but theres no pictures, i will try and discribe it for you guys, one is about .5" and is a dull orange/peachy color the end of its pintchers are brown, the other crab is very small about less then a 1/4" and is darck geen with grey and black patches. any ideas?

Old 09-12-2003, 06:15 PM   #2
cj10488

One sounds like a Porcelain Anemone Crab

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=23&pCatId=629

the other Sounds like an emerald Crab to me without seeing any pictures

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...=23&pCatId=628

do they look like the ones in those pictures???
Old 09-12-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

i think your right cj, thank you.
i dont have any anemones in my tank, with the porcelain anemone crab be fine? do you think i should evict him beacuse i have plans on getting 2 clown fish.
the emerald crabs discription says that they may eat smaller fish , but this guy is really small so how long does it take too grow? do you think it wil just get aten but fish when they get purchased? also how hardy are these guys and blue leged hermits because they came on my live rock that im useing to cycle the tank. the is also a cerith sp. snail, how hardy are they?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to MACATUA Send a message via MSN to MACATUA Send a message via Yahoo to MACATUA
The emerald crab would not be of any threat to the clowns as long as the clowns were not exceptionally small and he grew to be a lot bigger. He should be fine.

Join the Alabama Regional Forum!
MACATUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 06:30 PM   #5
cj10488

The porcelain Crab I am not sure about.. The emerald crab should be ok.. I have heard of a few ppl having issues with them but not many.. They say they are reef safe so id go with it.. As for crabs being pretty hardy i would say that most are.. I have about 15 or so unidentified crabs that came is as hitchhikers into a new tank and so far they have been just fine.. I found one that fell onto the floor 5 hours after I got the LR and threw him into the tank and he ran off like it was no big deal.. If they made it thru the transport I would say that they should make it anywhere lol... JMHO.. FYI my liverock came overnight from Florida.. I found 2 or 3 deal crabs out of like 15 or so...

James
Old 09-12-2003, 06:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACATUA
The emerald crab would not be of any threat to the clowns as long as the clowns were not exceptionally small and he grew to be a lot bigger. He should be fine.
the crab is only like 1/4" and the clowns havent been bought yet but they are a little under an inch.

Tags
crab, crabs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com