Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-31-2004, 08:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I won't have chance to get some Nori for a few days - will a piece of well-rinsed lettuce be ok as a substitute, left in for a couple of hours each day, until I can get some Nori? Or will pesticides etc. be a problem?

Old 05-31-2004, 02:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone?

Old 05-31-2004, 06:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should I put a bit of lettuce in? I haven't seen him eat since I put him in last night, and I've done 2 feedings. That doesn't mean he hasn't eaten when I've gone away (bits off the bottom, etc.), but I am a bit concerned because everytime I go up to the tank (inc. feeding time) his dorsal fin is up, signalling he's "scared"...

Should I put a bit of lettuce in for 2 hours now and see what he does with it, or will the risk of pesticides etc. just not be worth it?
Old 05-31-2004, 07:30 PM   #14
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
Should I put a bit of lettuce in for 2 hours now and see what he does with it, or will the risk of pesticides etc. just not be worth it?
Most lettuce items will not offer much nutrition even though the fish may like it. I would suggest if that's all you have to give it a try though. The important issue is to get the fish accepting foods, then you can move on to better food values later. Most (not all) pesticides should be easily removed with warm tap water.

If would not use enough to last for a few days though. Place smaller amounts in 2-3 times a day instead. That will cut down on rotting wastes and allow you to swap out for fresh help to entice the butterfly a bit more.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-31-2004, 08:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Steve, I'll put a bit in tomorrow night for a couple of hours.

He's spending a lot of time near the surface at the moment, in the corner of the QT. Sometimes with his fin up, sometimes not.

I'm a bit worried about him...
Old 05-31-2004, 08:18 PM   #16
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW19
He's spending a lot of time near the surface at the moment, in the corner of the QT.
Check all the parametrs. Alk, pH, NH3, NO2 and NO3. Chances are you may need to do a water change. It could just be stressed as well. They are not a very easy fish to keep.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com