2 fish in QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 15(UK)gallon QT, which currently has a banggai cardinal in it (been there for 3 days).

Is it possible to also add a Yellow Long-nosed Butterfly to the QT, and have them both in there for 4 weeks?

1. Will bioload be too much, and therefore ammonia levels rise.

2. Will they get on ok?

My LFS has a really nice Butterfly in at the moment, and very rarey gets them, that's all :)

Is it a smaller butterfly? I wouldn't see why not. They should get along fine.

You may need to pay extra attention to your levels.

Just remember that you will need to start the QT process over for the cardinal as well.

How big is your main tank?

The butterfly is about 3".

Starting the QT process over isn't a problem, as the cardinal has only been in there for 3 days.

Or would it be better just to be patient and do them both seperately?

Main tank is 35 gallons... but I won't be putting the Butterfly in there :)

Should be ok, just monitor the ammonia and nitrate and do frequent water changes to keep them down. :wink:

Okie, I'm planning on putting a Nori sheet in there for the butterfly, replacing each day.

Will this add to the ammonia much?

Do you think it's necessary to have some nori clipped in the QT for the Butterfly?

MarkW19 said:
Okie, I'm planning on putting a Nori sheet in there for the butterfly, replacing each day.

Will this add to the ammonia much?
Actually it will not add much. Its probably the best thing you can put in there. Just only leave is for a couple hours.

Cool - the problem is, I work all day, and was intending leaving it in while I was out so my butterfly can nibble at it (9 hours).

Will leaving it in just for a couple of hours at night be enough?

I won't have chance to get some Nori for a few days - will a piece of well-rinsed lettuce be ok as a substitute, left in for a couple of hours each day, until I can get some Nori?

I won't have chance to get some Nori for a few days - will a piece of well-rinsed lettuce be ok as a substitute, left in for a couple of hours each day, until I can get some Nori? Or will pesticides etc. be a problem?

Should I put a bit of lettuce in? I haven't seen him eat since I put him in last night, and I've done 2 feedings. That doesn't mean he hasn't eaten when I've gone away (bits off the bottom, etc.), but I am a bit concerned because everytime I go up to the tank (inc. feeding time) his dorsal fin is up, signalling he's "scared"...

Should I put a bit of lettuce in for 2 hours now and see what he does with it, or will the risk of pesticides etc. just not be worth it?

MarkW19 said:
Should I put a bit of lettuce in for 2 hours now and see what he does with it, or will the risk of pesticides etc. just not be worth it?
Most lettuce items will not offer much nutrition even though the fish may like it. I would suggest if that's all you have to give it a try though. The important issue is to get the fish accepting foods, then you can move on to better food values later. Most (not all) pesticides should be easily removed with warm tap water.

If would not use enough to last for a few days though. Place smaller amounts in 2-3 times a day instead. That will cut down on rotting wastes and allow you to swap out for fresh help to entice the butterfly a bit more.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, I'll put a bit in tomorrow night for a couple of hours.

He's spending a lot of time near the surface at the moment, in the corner of the QT. Sometimes with his fin up, sometimes not.

I'm a bit worried about him...

MarkW19 said:
He's spending a lot of time near the surface at the moment, in the corner of the QT.
Check all the parametrs. Alk, pH, NH3, NO2 and NO3. Chances are you may need to do a water change. It could just be stressed as well. They are not a very easy fish to keep.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom