2 green spotted puffers in 40 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoM0

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good idea in my salt reef tank? With clowns hawk eel ? And also how hard is it to maintain my sea apple ... ?

Green spotted are a brackish fish I believe, they can survive in salt but not as long. I don't know how they compare to regular salt water puffers, but maybe consider a single saddle valentini puffer instead?

Have a look on liveaquaria.com
sea apples are considered expert only and it says that any fish that is considered reef safe with caution may eat it (that includes puffers)
There is plenty of good info on fish types and compatibility though...

1 green spotted puffer is dangerous in a reef. they CAN eat both coral and clean up crews. i would just keep a gsp in a fowlr.

edit: these puffers are high end brackish fish in the wild but need saltwater in captivity

My puffers have yet too touch the corals (knock on wood) I keep them well fed

Even a well fed puffer are able to nibble at corals. It can take months or years or it may never happen. Who knows what they are thinking.

I have found that whether they are well fed or not it doesn't matter. In my experience my puffer didn't get the taste for corals until he matured a bit, after about a year...

Back
Top Bottom