Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

2 High or 4 High/Low Powerheads?

I'm wanting to do a mixed reef tank with SPS corals on top, and LPS/anemones toward the bottom. With my tank being 55g, could I get away with having 2 1050-1400gph PH on the top (each side of the tank) and have my sump return aimed down low? Or would I need to add 1 or 2 PH that are rated 750gph or less on the bottom? My return pump is about 500gph.

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
actually, if you have 2 x 1400 gph power heads, i don't think you are going to need much aiming towards the bottom. i think those will take care of the entire tank, especially if they are power heads that have a wide spread, like a koralia or similar.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Only problem with that is anemone will choose where they want to go, normally mid to top of tank, again depending on flow. I have tried my anemone at the bottom of the tank but always finds a low flow zone near the 3/4 way of the tank.

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
actually, if you have 2 x 1400 gph power heads, i don't think you are going to need much aiming towards the bottom. i think those will take care of the entire tank, especially if they are power heads that have a wide spread, like a koralia or similar.
I was looking at those because of their great reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush View Post
Only problem with that is anemone will choose where they want to go, normally mid to top of tank, again depending on flow. I have tried my anemone at the bottom of the tank but always finds a low flow zone near the 3/4 way of the tank.
I thought about that too, but if I had the PH in there first, would they move up to a level that would be too powerful for them? (Basically are they that stubborn?) Also, my LR formation is quite vertical, with shelves starting about 4-5" from the sand; can anemones move up that?

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

anemones are funny things, and they can move anywhere. they are like snails :P and yes they are stubborn lol

***Pics now on profile***
rush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powerheads

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com