Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

2 little fishies phosban reactor

I got a 2 little fishes phosban reactor 4 days ago. Filled it as instructed with NPX bioplastics. Over the next two days my water became very cloudy and my green star polyps are closed up. They are still extended but closes. Zoas seem to be doing well and fish are all happy but water is very cloudy. I added the reactor because I have been having a bad hair algae problem. After the water kept getting cloudy I unplugged the pump to he reactor and within a day the water was back to clear again. Yesterday I turned the reactor back on and today the water is cloudy again. Does anyone know why this would happen? How can I stop it? I want to run this reactor to take care of the phosphate problem leading to my algae problem...

Old 05-04-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

did you rinse it out in RO water? you're supposed to pump some water through the media to clean it out so it doesn't release any dust into your system

Old 05-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #3

No I did not rinse the media first. Is it ok to just let it run and will the dust eventually settle out?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was think'n about get'n the same reactor. I'm curious as to how this situation turns out for you and if you like the product. Did it say anything in the product reviews about it make'n the water cloudy at first and what they did to remedy it?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Cloudy water is caused by adding too much product in the initial phase. You need to add about a quarter of the total amount needed for your tank, wait a week, add more, wait a week, etc.

I did NOT heed those instructions when I added NP-Biopellets (500ml) to the same reactor in my 125 and did not have a problem. I was an early adopter and only learned of the problem from others posting about it.

It will clear in a few days and over the next few weeks you will see an improvement in water quality.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #6

I definately did not ease into the biopellets... In fact im thinking i have too much in the reactor but i am getting good movement and flow through them so i figured why not... if it doesnt help all i did was waste some materials... lesson learned for next time

I will give it a few days to see if the water clears up. I am just concerned about my GSP as they have shown great extension and opening since i got them and now they just dont look happy. :-( i will keep you updated.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Make sure the media is moving VARY slowly or it will grind and not work. I have the same thing but use phosban midia. The plastic doesn't do that well.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is the best reactor to buy? Does Two Little Fishies come with the pump and the plumbing and whatnot? I was look'n at one and it just comes with the cartridge. I think it was Phosban. I'm not sure but what would be the best one to get? And what else needs to be purchased along with it?
Old 05-06-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
the two little fishes one doesnt come with a pump but it comes with everything else you need
Old 05-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #10

BYO-media as well

Tags
reactor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com