2 little fishies phosban reactor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bashbro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got a 2 little fishes phosban reactor 4 days ago. Filled it as instructed with NPX bioplastics. Over the next two days my water became very cloudy and my green star polyps are closed up. They are still extended but closes. Zoas seem to be doing well and fish are all happy but water is very cloudy. I added the reactor because I have been having a bad hair algae problem. After the water kept getting cloudy I unplugged the pump to he reactor and within a day the water was back to clear again. Yesterday I turned the reactor back on and today the water is cloudy again. Does anyone know why this would happen? How can I stop it? I want to run this reactor to take care of the phosphate problem leading to my algae problem...

did you rinse it out in RO water? you're supposed to pump some water through the media to clean it out so it doesn't release any dust into your system

No I did not rinse the media first. Is it ok to just let it run and will the dust eventually settle out?

I was think'n about get'n the same reactor. I'm curious as to how this situation turns out for you and if you like the product. Did it say anything in the product reviews about it make'n the water cloudy at first and what they did to remedy it?

Cloudy water is caused by adding too much product in the initial phase. You need to add about a quarter of the total amount needed for your tank, wait a week, add more, wait a week, etc.

I did NOT heed those instructions when I added NP-Biopellets (500ml) to the same reactor in my 125 and did not have a problem. I was an early adopter and only learned of the problem from others posting about it.

It will clear in a few days and over the next few weeks you will see an improvement in water quality.

I definately did not ease into the biopellets... In fact im thinking i have too much in the reactor but i am getting good movement and flow through them so i figured why not... if it doesnt help all i did was waste some materials... lesson learned for next time

I will give it a few days to see if the water clears up. I am just concerned about my GSP as they have shown great extension and opening since i got them and now they just dont look happy. :-( i will keep you updated.

Make sure the media is moving VARY slowly or it will grind and not work. I have the same thing but use phosban midia. The plastic doesn't do that well.

What is the best reactor to buy? Does Two Little Fishies come with the pump and the plumbing and whatnot? I was look'n at one and it just comes with the cartridge. I think it was Phosban. I'm not sure but what would be the best one to get? And what else needs to be purchased along with it?

the two little fishes one doesnt come with a pump but it comes with everything else you need

Cool. So what kind of pump would I get? I have a 75 gal tank so I'm not sure if that matters or not consider'n I am basically get'n the pump that's suitable for the unit itself. Plus what type of media should I get and what brand do you recommend? I was on fosters and smith and they have so many choices I'm not sure if it's the right stuff or not.

Check out bulk reef supply. Its cheaper there. :-D

BRS has the pump listed thats required too. i think they reccomend a mj 400. I could be worng though. lol

The clody water is likely a bacterial bloom which is normal if you add all the Bio Pellets at once in the beginning add and airstone and you should be fine in a few days. Make sure you have agood surface turn over for oxygen the bacterial bloom will use up oxygen

I have the Phosban reactor for my bio-pellets and the BRS housing for GFO and GAC. I prefer the BRS housings.
A MJ400 is not quite enough for the bio-pellets. Use either a MJ600 or MJ900. I have a MJ600 on my Phosban reactor.

Are the pellets better than the granular? I think the 400mj is only for that. I would think the pellets are heavier. lol You also need a little filter plate for the reactor if you use pellets over granular, correct?

I'm in the market as well, have been for awhile

I have a ball valve and its cut back. Sometimes as the NPX gets older it begins to clump so I have room to open the pump more. I also put a mag-float 25 inside to break them up if need be. If you go with GFO I had a Rio 90 on my reactor and had a slow tumble looked like water starting to boil for turn over. Bulkreefsupply has a great video on GFO. Biopellets should turn over pretty good to stop the clumping. If I get a minute tomorrow I will post a video of my reactor and biolpellets.

Thanks for the explanation. I appreciate it. i was a tad confused on the pellet vs. granular.

Back
Top Bottom