2 Maxi-Jets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting a new saltwater tank...very excited! and I've been looking through the forums for powerhead recommendations (10x tank size) but notice some postings about substrate being blown around. I'm setting up a 40 gallon seaclear rectangle and am confused on whether I should buy 2 of 600's, 900's or 1200's?

Some people say that u can't have enough flow...others say that their current is too much at 10x? So I'm a little confused as what to get. It will be a FOWLR...at least for now :wink: Thanks in advance for advice!

1200's are real shooters.... I have a couple on opposite ends of a 55 and it makes pretty nice current. Can be pretty boisterous current if not positioned correctly. If you want something a little less forceful you might want to drop down to the 900's for a 40.

Maxijets are crazy good quality. I REALLY like mine. Whatever ou choose you will like I am sure. Or you could go higher in the water column with the 1200s and get good surface disturbance and less blasting flow on the bottom part of the tank if you get the 1200s.

So you think the 900's will not create a problem with my sand bed in a 40 gal then? I'd rather shoot for tank circulation than surface agitation i guess.

900's would be fine. They are still pretty strong although their flow rating eludes me at the moment...230gph, I think. You want some current on the substrate as it tends to discourage the growth of cyano. I have a 20 tall with an MJ900 at each end and that's working well. With the depth of a 40 breeder, you should get decent surface agitaion with a pair of 900's. The diffusers that come with the MJ's do a pretty good job of spreading the flow...I'd use them.

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and ordered the 900's. Can't wait to get my tank today!

Those having problems with sand being blown around are either new tank setups (new dead sand in a tank will blow around MUCH easier than livesand), or they have their powerheads positioned wrong.

HAHA, I had a MJ1200 and a MJ900 in a 20H and didnt have any sandstorm issues.

Back
Top Bottom