2 New Clownfish! 8^)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperWade2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi All...

I added my 1st "Real" fish to my 46 Gal yesterday evening...I picked up 2 Clownfish at my Local Fish Store, Drip Acclimated for 2+ Hours (30Mins Temp in Bag, and a little over 2hrs Drip in Bucket).

I'm not sure if they are Ocellaris or True Percula, but I would have to guess Ocellaris based on the price. I didn't really ask at the LFS and it wasn't the "Saltwater Expert" that helped me get them from the tank. I will try to post pics this evening once I turn the lights and stuff on in my tank, and maybe the experts here can help identify.

One is probably 1.5" or so and the other is 1" and both fairly "bright" orange in color.

My tank is barely a month old, so after a while (6+ mths), I'd like to think about maybe adding an Anemone for them (Are MH Lights a pre-req?), but hopefully they will like living in my tank.

The LFS said they would eat flakes, but it seems people here lean more on a combo of flakes, pellets and frozen, possibly with some Garlic if they are picky... should I try flakes and see how they do, or should I go ahead and pick up some other types of food as well?

I'm very happy to have some 'color' in my tank!

SW2

Congratulations on the new fish.

Definately wait on the anenome 6-12 months and let your tank get established. BTW, how did you cycle and did you verify it was complete? Keep an eye on your water parameters and be prepared for some small PWC if you see any spikes.

As for feeding, yes a variety is good. With only two fish you do not need to feed a lot either. Not more than once a day and even every other should be fine. You did not state if you have LR or not, but if you do they will even pick at that for food.

As for diet my personal favorites are:

Cyclopese, daphnia, mysis, green life line and once in a while spectrum pellets. I also have a lot more fish and corals.

The key thing to remember is anything you put in your tank stays there until you take it out via pwc.

One more thing if you do not have a clean up crew you may want to consider starting to add one which will help maintain stability. You could easily have 15-20 red/blue leg hermits and 15-20 snails as well as a shrimp or two. Just add them over time. Inverts really add a lot to a tank.

Good Luck,

Thanks for the Reply,

I cycled with 80 lbs of Cured Live Rock (LiveAquaria) and 50 Lbs of Live Sand and didn't have a HUGE spike, but did see the Ammonia and Nitrites go up and then back down to Zero after about 2/2.5 weeks. At that point 5 Blue/Green Chromis were added to the tank as "starter" fish (at the recommendation of the LFS, which probably goes against the recommendations on here). A couple (or all) of those might go back to the LFS as I start adding more stock in the coming months.

I acutally added the Cleanup Crew last week basically what you listed, some Scarlet and Blue Hermits, a Couple different Types of Snails, a couple of Emerald Crabs and was supposed to get a couple peppermint shrimp, but they were inadventantly left out of the order and should arrive next week I think.

I did a 25% Water Change (10-12gal) before adding the cleanup crew and when I tested my Nitrates earlier this week, they were still hovering arround 10-15ish.

I'm going to mix up some water to have at the ready to do more PWC if I see any change in my Water Readings...

SW2

SOunds like you are off to a good start. I currently have 3 chromis in my tank and love them. They are neet to watch schooling around the tank. Of course with a 46g I suppose they do not leave you much room for additional fish.

What are your long term stocking plans?

This was my Stocking Plan from a few weeks ago...

(2) Ocellaris or Percula Clownfish - Done
(1) Royal Gramma Basslet
(1) Yellow Watchman Goby (or similar)
(1) Flame Angelfish

I know I REALLY want the Flame Angel eventually, but it should be last fish added and placed into a more "established" tank, so it's probably down the road some. I know the combo of these will probably precipitate removing some if not all the Blue/Green Chromis to make sure I'm not "overcrowded", and I'm OK with doing so if necessary.

SW2

Looks good, you are right I would suggest some or all of the chromis go if you do intend to complete the original plan.

Are you doing FOWLR or are your long term plans to go reef(corals)? If reef I will caution you on the angel as they can nip corals.

Personally I have a Coral Beauty angel and have no problems so far, but many claim they do.

Sounds like you have a good plan and are doing your research.

Good luck,

Have been planning FOWLR for quite a while now and would like to "think" about an anemone down the road for the Clowns...

Although not sure if my current light setup would support (36" Coralife Lunar Aqualight - Compact Fluorescent, 96W Actinic, 96W 10,000K Daylight = 4.17Watts /gal)

SW2

I would say with your lighting you are good for most anenome as well as soft and LPS corals if you change your mind and decide to go that route. Of course your tank still needs top mature before trying them.

Congrats on the new additions! Do keep and eye on water parameters for the next couple weeks to ensure all remains well. I like your fish list. It will give you great color and variety. You should consider a pistol shrimp for your goby and think about some reef hermits/snails and cleaner shrimp as well. All help keep the tank clean and offer some entertaining veiwing as well. I agree, lighting should support something like a BTA down the road.

Here are a couple pics... still not sure how to get the good Macro Shots with my DigiCam..

Can people tell if these are Ocellaris or Percula from these pics?

Sw2

Attachments

• dsc04067_208.jpg
    dsc04067_208.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 109
  • dsc04068_180.jpg
    dsc04068_180.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 28
  • dsc04070_180.jpg
    dsc04070_180.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 30
I second the Ocellaris.. True Perculas tend to have thicker black bands and usually command a higher price..

I have a 46 bow reef set up running myself with the same 36" Coralife Lunar Aqualight that your talking about.. My suggestion to you, would be drop all of the Cromis and your stock list will be fine.. My stock list is as follows:

2 TR Saddleback Clowns
1 Solar Fairy Wrasse
1 Bi-Color Blenny
1 Orange Spotted Watchman

Plenty of snails, with minimal hermits.. Got tired of the hermits lynching my snails, and snails do a better job of cleaning anyway.. Cleaner Shrimp and Cucumber..

SuperWade2 said:
This was my Stocking Plan from a few weeks ago...

(2) Ocellaris or Percula Clownfish - Done
(1) Royal Gramma Basslet
(1) Yellow Watchman Goby (or similar)
(1) Flame Angelfish

SW2

This is my stocking list in my 50 FOWLR:

(2) Ocellaris Clown
(1) Royal Gramma
(1) Pink Spotted Watchman Goby
(1) Flame Angel

and

(3) blue/green chromis

Some might say that I'm overstocked, but this arrangement has been stable for months. I did add stock slowly and let the bio-filtration keep up with things, but I have no problems with water quality, aggression, or anything at all really. It's a nice, peaceful community tank. You might not have to scrap the chromis, at least not all of them. Just go slow and everything from your original list plus a few chromis would probably be fine. :D

Hi! for the Macro setting try angeling your camera down a little - not straight on.. of course be very still and my camera, not sure about all, has a push the button 1/2 way to get the picture focused perfectly... then snap.. maybe yours has that as well.

What kind of camera?... we have a few ... I could look for you.

Congrats on the new clowns BTW, very pretty :)

My Camera is a Sony DSC-P150 - 7.2mp, and I was taking the pics using the "P" Program Mode, and tired both ISO 400 and AUTO, and of course Macro Mode.

I have a small tripod that I was using it, and my Sony has the same 1/2 Button push for AutoFocus. The rest of the pics I took (that I didn't) post didn't capture the fish well at all as they were moving and blurry. I also tried one of the High Speed Shutter Scene Setting, and don't think there was enough light (even in the lighted tank) without the flash to get the pic to turn out well.

Back
Top Bottom