2 part dosing trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have swtiched from Kalk to 2 part I have about 15 SPS frags. I am trying to get my Alk dialed in. I am dosing 24ml of a 24hr period. I got my Alk to 8.2 dKH and it dropped down to 7.7. I started out at about 12ml I am now up to 35ml a day. I was watching a video on BRS and they suggest starting with 1ml per gallon with SPS. Should I really raise my dosage to 55ml of Alk a day? or should I just keep adjusting daily to 8.2 and increase time to add a few more ml's a day till it stays at 8.3 dKH?

I have swtiched from Kalk to 2 part I have about 15 SPS frags. I am trying to get my Alk dialed in. I am dosing 24ml of a 24hr period. I got my Alk to 8.2 dKH and it dropped down to 7.7. I started out at about 12ml I am now up to 35ml a day. I was watching a video on BRS and they suggest starting with 1ml per gallon with SPS. Should I really raise my dosage to 55ml of Alk a day? or should I just keep adjusting daily to 8.2 and increase time to add a few more ml's a day till it stays at 8.3 dKH?

Are you talking about the b-ionic 2 part?

I have been running BRS 2 part in my 76 gallon, and i am at 130ml/ day and will likely have to increase it from there.

Do you have an i device? There's a pretty good app called Reef Doser that will calculate doses for raising and balling lite (maintaining with 2/3 part).

I usually eyeball it though - add enough based on the 1dKh/20ppm Ca/50ppm Mg max increase per day rule then when I hit my target I cut the dose in half. From there minor tweaks as necessary.

Do you have an i device? There's a pretty good app called Reef Doser that will calculate doses for raising and balling lite (maintaining with 2/3 part).

I usually eyeball it though - add enough based on the 1dKh/20ppm Ca/50ppm Mg max increase per day rule then when I hit my target I cut the dose in half. From there minor tweaks as necessary.

I just use the calculator at BRS. I am having trouble keeping it stable by auto dosing with auto 1.1ml a minute dosing pumps

Have you calibrated the Doser? I've never used one of those, but I know the Profilux fosters need to be calibrated - actual output varies from advertised output. Run the pump for 1, 5 or 10 mins & measure the actual output then compensate in your dosing calculations. You may not be dosing the quantity you think you are.

It can be tricky anyways dial it all in. You can set a baseline level by dosing larger quantities by hand (up to the daily limits in my previous post) and while leaving & tweaking your Doser for maintenance dosing.

First, you do need to calibrate your dosers to see how much they're putting out..... they can vary by a tenth or two per minute. Not a huge difference, but it can add up. My BRS dosers do 1.2ml/min.

Next thing you need to calibrate is your tank.... how much 2-part to raise a given amount of Calc & dKH. Test your Calc & Alk, then add a measured amount & let it mix it in your tank for about 15 minutes & test again to see how much it came up. For instance, in my 28 nano, I know that 10ml raises my alk 0.5dKH (I make my own 2-part, so don't go by that number.... test yourself).

Now find out your usage over a 24 hour period..... get up to where you want, then test 24 hours later. I know that if I lose 0.4dKH over a day's time, I need to increase my daily dosage by 8ml (6-7 minutes).

Lastly..... pick a range that you're happy with. I keep my tank in the 10's (between 10-11). If you try to keep it right at 8.2, you will drive yourself absolutely nuts trying to maintain a specific point.

Even though I'm pretty well dialed in, I still test at least twice weekly. I have some very fast growing SPS (digis & birdsnests), so each tip that splits is consuming twice as much nutrients...... when you've got multiple corals with lots of growing/splitting tips, consumption can increase fairly quickly. I find that about every 3-4 weeks, I'm increasing my daily dose by about 5-10ml.

I will play around, when i hooked my dosers back up i did calibrate them and they are running at 1.1ml a minute. I am trying to keep my alk between 8-8.3 for now then i will start raising it

I was dosing 33ml a day yesterday tested my Alk and it was 150ppm, I am trying to get it dialed in at 147-148 I am shooting for 144-148 no big deal I was at 150 but still wanted to bring it down. So i went to BRS website since its there Alk I am using. In order to raise from 144 to 150 you would add 13.2ml of part 2 solution. I figured if I lowered mine by that much it should put me right in line. So i lowered my daily dose to 20ml tonight I get home and i am at 155ppm or 8.68 dKH. So do I cut my dosage down to 11ml? Getting my Alk dialed is a PITA. 55g

wed alk 8.176, Thurs 8.176, fri and sat no testing, Sun test 7.7. I am going to add 1/4 tsp of Seachem Reef Builder since I have some to raise it up a little and then add 10ml to my timer and retest tommorow

Back
Top Bottom