2 questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muse12

Aquarium Advice Regular
1.)When I look at the sand on the side of the tank, I see small spots that are colored red, blueish, and green. What causes these and can they be removed?
2.)My nitrates have been rather high ( 20 - 30 mg/L ). Is the only way to lower these by changing water? What would you recommend? I am rather disturbed because I recently bought a bulb anemone which died ( :cry: ) in a matter of a day and a half. It was because the nitrates were to high.

Thanks for suggestions!

Walter

Welcome
1. The spots on the tank may be algae but could be cyano. what to you have in your dsb to trun the sand? What is your water flow. What is your lighting?
2. Nitrates are usually removed thru water changes. What is your current cleaning schedule? and What is your water source?

yes posts your test results and we can help you a little more

Water changes, as mentioned above are the way to go to get them down

How much LR do you have, and do you have a dsb? These will help keep them down in the future

BTW...Welcome to AA!

I think the BTA may well have been stressed out by all that light.

Well for lighting I have two Actinic VHO bulbs on from 9AM - 8PM, and I have a 400watt Metal Halide on from 12 noon to 5PM, unless it gets too hot. Well, for live rock im not quite sure. I received this tank from a neighbor so I don't know the measurements. I can post a picture though and let you judge. I have lots of sand.... not quite sure how much, and I'm not sure if there is anything turning the sand except for a little box thingy that shoots out water with a jet that is turned toward the sand at the back.

Thanks for welcoming me! This is a great site! :D

muse12 said:
... Is the only way to lower these by changing water? What would you recommend? ...
Walter

You might check into a product by Kent called "Nitrate Sponge." It's not a cure-all but it should aid in reducing nitrates. I just put some in my media sleeves on my Emperor 400 about a week ago - it is supposed to take a few weeks before it becomes effective though.

sorry, heres the pic (I hope this works :roll: ) lol
Picture.jpg

I have put 10 mangroves into my fuge about a month or so back and they are growing good roots now, I also put some SeaChem SeaGel and PuriGen into some make shift fluidized filters and within 2 weeks, my water is totally crystal and my Nitrates are down from ~20 to .2. NO water changes needed.

try a good clean up crew of hermits crabs and some starfish ask your lfs about how many is rightt for ur tank

Back
Top Bottom