2 questions, featherdusters and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

McFlinty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi folks!

My first post here, so thank you in advance. I have found tons of information here so far.

I had a algae explosion after I went on the road for work ( left the lights on 24/7 for a few weeks). Ive got the jump on it finally. Im down to toothbrushing it off the rocks. Will any free floating particles cause more in the long run?

And for my second question. I'm overrun with mini feather dusters ( 2"~ long white stalks, and the feathery end that rectracts). Its growing all over my rocks, corals, and in the sand bed. Is there something I can turn loose on them? I'd bet I have a hundred easily.

Cutting the lights back to 9 or 10 hrs daily and putting them on a dial, plug in timer in the future. Without knowing the size of your tank or about other inhabitants, it may be a little harder to help. What kinda snails you got in there? Some do well w/algae. Algae nibbling fish too. Bi-color blenny (smaller), lawnmower or sailfin blenny (larger) eat that stuff too.

On the feather dusters...maybe a small arrow crab would do the trick -but again not knowing your tank, it's hard to say.

Update the "my info" tab.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Will any free floating particles cause more in the long run?
If it is hair algae, it will spread. Some use a toothbrush as the end of their siphon.
I wouldn't worry about the feather dusters, they just filter feed and should thrive or starve, depending on nutrients in the tank.

I would not do anything with the feather dusters, as stated earlier they are filter feeders and will help remove excessive nutrients that fuel bad algeas. Since you say you have a algea problem, they are your best friend at this moment. I have many in my tank and I`m glad.

Feather dusters are way cool, I can see no reason why anyone would want to dipose of them!

How are they attached to your corals?

Also, im sure your corals didnt appreciate weeks of 24/7 lighting!...I would cut back immediately!

SeeDemTails said:
Feather dusters are way cool, I can see no reason why anyone would want to dipose of them!

Also, im sure your corals didnt appreciate weeks of 24/7 lighting!...I would cut back immediately!

Wait till ya have about a thousand of them :D

I 'prune' mine monthly...taking the worm-things that they are over to the fish only tank..

The puffer eats like a king that day...

Thanks for the replies folks!

My tank is pretty simple at the moment.:

135 gallon and 35 gallon sump
2x 150watt MH 20,000k
2 cases of Live rock (80 kg?)
250gallon size skimmer
2 aquaclear 110 powerheads, and a ehiem of some sort

2 yellow tangs
1 Clarkii Clown
A few pieces of xenia
A leather coral ( cut into 4 bits, doing nicely)
and few small colonys of zoos and 'shrooms

In the near future, I'm adding better Mh's, UV, more live rock.

I have my lights on timer, but something went bad while I was away and my wife only ventured into my playroom to top off and feed, so it went unnoticed.

I dont mind the look of the feather dusters, but they are entwining them selves through a lot of my zoos and so on.

Thank you again!

feathers

I believe that some live in corals and will die if the coral dies.[/quote]

Mike469, I believe you are thinking of the X-mas tree worm or Spirobranchea gigantea. Different critter. Still cool.

Back
Top Bottom