Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2008, 02:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

2 quick inquiries for the geniuses of the forum :)

Hey Peoples !

1. I want to buy an RO/DI unit for my 120 gallon (not yet set up) saltwater aquarium. I want the unit to be very good but I don't want to go crazy. "I don't have a money tree out back." ha ha. The thing I'm trying to figure out right now is what I need to look for in a RO/DI system ....just 5 stage? or anything else? I heard that the $70 unit at PetsMart is worthless. shrugs shoulders. I'm willing to spend up to $250-300 but definatly don't want to if it's not necessary. I see the units at all different prices. Also, a while back someone told me they use their unit for drinking water and I always saw this as a plus especially considering I spend around $70-80 a month in Walmart bottled water !!!

2. I'm not even sure I will need a UV sterilizer but I saw what appeared to be a great deal and am wondering if you would mind checking it out for me. I would really appreciate it.
It's #5 on the list:
Louisiana Reef Club :: View topic - Equipment for sale WITH PICS
Also, he said "Here is a link to info on the model that I have. They will kill anything that is in the water.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~AV2241.html "
Please give me your thoughts on this deal.
Leah

Quick info: I try my best not to overfeed. LOL

Old 03-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

1. The Filter Guys Check out the Ocean Wave +. It is the one I have and I am very happy with it.

2. I do not use a UV in any of my reefs. There are some folks here that do and can hopefully offer more info on that.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I'm not a genius, but I'll answer anway

I bought this RO/DI a few years ago and am very happy with it.

I'm with Lando on the UV. I don't use one either.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I got my RO/DI unit on Ebay for $69.99 2.5 years ago. As long as you get a unit that has standard sized filters (prefilters the carbon, sediment ect) you can replace those parts locally. The RO Membrane should last you a couple of years and the DI filter should last 8-12 months.

I dont use UV on my tanks either.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I really appreciate all your advice and help but I'm wanting to know what I need to look for in a ro/di system....whether it be 5 stage, 7 stage, or best filter prices, easiest filters to find and replace...etc. Does anyone know this info? I don't need 50-100 gallons a day or a permenant unit. I live in an apartment.
Quote:
you can get a unit that makes clean water just about as fast as you can use it with no waste water and do it at normal house water pressures.
This is what I want. I really appreciate all your advice and help but I'm wanting to know what I need to look for in a ro/di system....whether it be 5 stage, 7 stage, or best filter prices, easiest filters to find and replace...etc. Does anyone know this info? I would like to know what to look for so I can google a bunch of them and figure out which one is best for me.
Quote:
As long as you get a unit that has standard sized filters (prefilters the carbon, sediment ect) you can replace those parts locally
.How do I figure this out and are you talking about buying the parts at a lfs? If so, I think I would rather buy it online since everything seems to be extremely cheaper.
Someone said:
Quote:
you can't medicate a reef tank should 1 or more of your fishes contract Ich or some other parasite
So what happens if you get a ick outbreak in a reef tank? .....especially if you only have one qt tank and a bunch of fish?
Thanks!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got my 5stage 100 GPD RO/DI unit at Melevs reef for under $200 shipped
here is all the info Melevsreef.com - 100gpd RO/DI System Very good quality the filters are standard size and available locally for cheap

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

When I said you can buy the prefilters locally I meant at home depot or lowes. They are standard filters. The only thing you will have to replace online is the RO membrane and the DI filter. The other filters you can pick up at any hardware store for a few $$.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have teh same one that CCCapt has and love it as well. I don't run a UV either.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You mean to tell me that I`m the only one using a UV. LOL. I do use it for parasites and algea spores. It really is not a must have but I think they can be beneficial to a reef tank. The downside is you have any pods go through the chamber is that it will kill them also.
As far as the RO/DI unit they have some pretty good deals on ebay. You can get a 5 stage for about 100.00 on there. As far as the ick you`ll need to QT your fish and treat. I`ll send you some info when I get home from work.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I have the Typhoon III from airwaterice.com. This unit has a lot of features built into it. Walt (The H2O guru) has answered emails on Sundays in the past when I had a question.

He recommends a 5 stage filter set consisting of a 10 micron sediment filter, a 5 micron carbon filter followed by a 1 micron carbon filter. The rejection rate is better on the 75gpd model membrane than on the 100, but they have a new 150gpd membrane with a 98% rejection rate. The tds meter is included as is the bypass valve, etc. Check the site for some good information before deciding where and what to buy.

I also do not use a UV.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com