2 sump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpikeAZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. The return pump of my sump is a mag5 with vinyl tubing that eventually elbows into the tank. However, when the power of the pump is turned off, it starts to work as a reverse syphon, returning water to the sump. Is there a way to correct this?

2. The water going to my sump is via a HOB overflow and PVC, with about 3 elbows. Its output produces alot of bubbles and occasionally burbs. Is there anything I can do to correct this, or should I not worry about it?

1. You need a syphon break. A small hole in your return piping just below the surface level of the main tank. When it starts to syphon, the water level will drop a little, allowing air into that hole and breaking the syphon.

2. I have a built-in overflow and have the same burping issue. I never have solved. I'd like to know if you find a solution.

you need a t and get an end cap and drill a hole in it. that'll let the air out. i read it soemwhere

1) Either drill a syphon break into the return line, or position your return nozzles close to the top (like I have mine). That way, only a little bit of water gets returned back into the sump.

2) http://www.dursostandpipes.com

Check the popular modifications sections. I did the Stockman Hang-on Overflow modification. Worked GREAT... no noises to speak of. HTH (y)

Back
Top Bottom