20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I guess my next step is to set my tank back up right and possibly let my clown fish go and get store credit on him

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I definitely will from now on!! My tank is a mess because of listening to them on what to do because every problem I've had I've come to them and now this lol its just hard to find people that enjoy talking about this stuff!

So update on my fish it apparently jumped out of the tank and died this morning

Well now you don't need to rush to get a qt tank!
I have used bottle water before to fill my tank! I would go that route to start and get your rocks back into water! Since you have to wait for the ICh to die off anyway you can start your cycle right away!

Well now you don't need to rush to get a qt tank!
I have used bottle water before to fill my tank! I would go that route to start and get your rocks back into water! Since you have to wait for the ICh to die off anyway you can start your cycle right away!

If you can't get RO/DI then bottled DISTILLED is ok but not drinking/spring water

@nexlix10 the place I bought the fish from suggested I remove the rock to let it die off :/

Terrible advice. Plain and simple.

@mebbid I was told that ich wouldn't harm my tank?!?!?!?!? Like I said I'm all new to this and I'm going off the place I got the fish from advice but when I asked about having a qt they told me it wouldn't be necessary which put up some red flags to me and hence why I came here for advice lol but since my rocks are out of the tank and have been for I would say 12 hours they are going to make my tank cycle again?!?!?!?!

Ich is a parasite. It goes through a few stages of growth and development. First it is a free swimming parasite which infects a fish. At this point it burrows into the skin / gill tissue and feeds off of the fish. You can see the salt sized spots on the fish at this point as it is irritated skin at the point of infection.

The second stage is when it drops off of the fish and onto the substrate / decorations. It is nearly impossible to kill in this stage but it multiplies and grows when it is in this stage. It will eventually break out of it's "shell" and go back to the free swimming form.

If Ich doesn't get a host to feed in a rather short amount of time it will starve to death. It can however last up to 8 weeks before going back to the free swimming form.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

@macscale where would I purchased that from??

You can use lemon juice and an insulin syringe instead. Easier to get and cheaper.

@ macscale Gotcha :) I'm definitely okay with waiting but I have a clown fish at their store waiting for me to get my tank up. They told me they have cycled water I could use maybe I could start up a qt tank and bring my fish back home in that while my main tank does its thing

Like was said, there's no such thing as cycled water (although people will tell you this) All the bacteria is on the live rock and in the filter.

So I guess my next step is to set my tank back up right and possibly let my clown fish go and get store credit on him

That might be a wise decision.

So update on my fish it apparently jumped out of the tank and died this morning

That sucks. Sad bit of news :(

Some questions:
1st - How did you cycle your tank?
2nd - What are your parameters? Salinity, pH, temp, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alk, magnesium, and calcium?
3rd - How long between the emerging signs of ich and the fish actually dying?
4th - How long did you have the clowns?

1- I cycled using live rock and the seachem 3 step solutions.
2- salinity is 123
ph-8.3
alkalinity is 4.5
and everything else is 0
3- he got the signs the night I put him in the tank and died two days later
4- I had the first one 3 days and the second for 6 days

This is the 3 step I did

Attachments

• 1395788922275.jpg
    1395788922275.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 67
1- I cycled using live rock and the seachem 3 step solutions.
2- salinity is 123
ph-8.3
alkalinity is 4.5
and everything else is 0
3- he got the signs the night I put him in the tank and died two days later
4- I had the first one 3 days and the second for 6 days

This is the 3 step I did

Alright, my first suggestion is to do a TON of research on keeping saltwater tanks. There is a huge deficiency in basic knowledge (we've all been there at one point) which I will just throw out there is the primary reason your clowns died.

The clown you posted a pic of was HEAVILY infected which could indicate two different things. 1 - The fish was just brought into the store (likely the same exact day you bought him) and placed into a HEAVILY infected tank which caused him to get a huge infectious load of the parasite without allowing for time for the bumps to develop. or 2 - the fish was very sick when you bought him. There are both the ich spots and what seems to be either a bad wound or an ulcer on his side neither of which are going to develop in a single day.

For the record this is what a healthy clown fish should look like:
p-80188-clownfish.jpg

Some links to look at:
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice
Curing live rock? I didn't even know it was sick! - Aquarium Advice

Ideally ich should never kill a fish unless something goes really really wrong. Currently my tank has had it for nearly a year and I haven't had more than 1 or 2 spots show up at once in the past 9 months or so.

Here is another link that may you help you out in cycling your tank.
Ammonia will feed bacteria to reproduce more bb. The byproduct is Nitrite which is toxic. Once you have enough bacteria this Nitrite will be consumed by another kind of bacteria and the byproduct is Nitrate which is less harmful. It takes about a week or 2 to cycle with raw shrimp. Nitrite will spike in about a week and once it goes down Nitrate will go appreciably high. You do large water change and then you are ready to introduce fish in your tank.

Cycling a New Saltwater Aquarium Without Using Fish - Options For Keeping Fish Out of Harms Way

Edit: The problem is that ich is still present in your tank and probably in the rocks too.

Back
Top Bottom