Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,439
I received the reef builder but have not had a chance to use yet. Hopefully next week I can add some in the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,439
Ok salinity is down to 1.22. Should I be adding some salt to my top off water to prevent this from happening? This tank is in my office at work. I have a Tunze top off system but for some strange reason it stops working. So when I come into work on Monday the water level in the sump has dropped down below the pump. To get the level back up I usually have to add almost a whole gallon of Rodi water. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:24 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Ok salinity is down to 1.22. Should I be adding some salt to my top off water to prevent this from happening? This tank is in my office at work. I have a Tunze top off system but for some strange reason it stops working. So when I come into work on Monday the water level in the sump has dropped down below the pump. To get the level back up I usually have to add almost a whole gallon of Rodi water. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I missed something... What's the issue with the salinity? I would get the auto top working again. If you add salt water as your topoffs your salinity will end up on the high side of things in a few days. Do you use a refractometer or hydrometer to test?
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,439
I use a refractometer. Let me start by giving you a little more info. This tank is in my office at work so I am not there all the time to monitor things. I work from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays so on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I take in Rodi water to refill the top off containers which is a 2.5 gallon container. I run a dual fan on the system in the summer because our building management company turns the air off on the weekends to save money. I'm running the fans 4 hours on and 2 hours off starting at noon and ending at 10pm. I'm sure that is causing some evaporation as well. When I go in on Monday the sump is down to where the pump is pumping air into b the tank so I check the top off container and it's full of water. So what I have to do is unplug the Tunze and plug it back in and it will start putting water in the tank. I will do this a couple of times until the water level in the sump is back up to where it should be. Over the period of 2 weeks I end up having low salinity because I think I'm putting to much top off water in there. That's pretty much it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
It sounds like you either have a faulty unit or its set up incorrectly... I'm not familiar with the Tunze unit. Is there a sensor in the return section of your sump?
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,439
Oh and the sump is down again on Wednesday and Friday also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
It's normal evap rates. Just a matter of fixing the top off...
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:56 AM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxon-Waxon View Post
It sounds like you either have a faulty unit or its set up incorrectly... I'm not familiar with the Tunze unit. Is there a sensor in the return section of your sump?
Yes there is a sensor. I have had this one replaced once under warranty for the same issue only it stopped working all together. I have one on my 29 gallon and no problems with that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Flaxon-Waxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH
Posts: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdonaldson View Post
Yes there is a sensor. I have had this one replaced once under warranty for the same issue only it stopped working all together. I have one on my 29 gallon and no problems with that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I guess what I'm asking is, is how is it set up?

I have the JBJ ATO, and if the sensors are upside down, not in "sensor 1" or "sensor 2" slot, etc etc it won't function properly.

Looks like the tunze comes with 2 sensors, how are they situated in your sump and top off reservoir?
__________________
Flaxon-Waxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bdonaldson's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: White Plains, Maryland
Posts: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaxon-Waxon View Post
I guess what I'm asking is, is how is it set up?

I have the JBJ ATO, and if the sensors are upside down, not in "sensor 1" or "sensor 2" slot, etc etc it won't function properly.

Looks like the tunze comes with 2 sensors, how are they situated in your sump and top off reservoir?
I have the Tunze nano so I believe there is only one sensor and its in the sump facing down. The only thing in my ATO container is the pump. I'm not familiar with the JBJ ATO. Although if this keeps happening I may try something different.

Thanks for trying to help me. I appreciate it.

I just don't understand why this one acts up and my other one doesn't.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________

__________________
Bdonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
20 gallon, gallon, long, reef, reef tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
30 gallon long vs 40 gallon long Penguin Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 34 03-05-2015 07:58 AM
20 gallon long reef tank guppylover101 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 12 08-07-2014 12:34 AM
Fort's 12 Gallon Long Rimless Reef Tank fort384 Nano Reefs 82 05-11-2013 01:23 AM
help setting up 20 gallon long reef malawicichlidlover Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 7 01-16-2013 08:41 AM
new 30 gallon long reef tank!!! liga Members Saltwater Tanks Showcase 1 10-03-2011 10:12 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.