20 Gallon long reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would just let the tank acclimate to that for a week, and do another 60% change next weekend. Test before you do the change, it may sort itself out with no dosing moving forward...

I have to make more saltwater in order to do another water change next week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Another water change likely, however you probably don't want to completely shock the tank by dropping that much at once. Next question would be are you sure you're testing it correctly...?

Ok i did the alk test again and found that i was reading the chart wrong. Its reading 6.7 now. Much better.

6.7 is a bit too low IMO. Be extra careful with alk levels as it effects hard corals more than most other parameters. The goal is stability somewhere between 8-12dkh. I like the higher side as it helps to keep ph from bouncing around. You'll get it sorted out and when you do, keep a routine so it varies as little as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
6.7 is a bit too low IMO. Be extra careful with alk levels as it effects hard corals more than most other parameters. The goal is stability somewhere between 8-12dkh. I like the higher side as it helps to keep ph from bouncing around. You'll get it sorted out and when you do, keep a routine so it varies as little as possible.

Thanks Greg. I'm bringing this tank home from my office in a couple of weeks. Just waiting on the 29 gallon to finish cycling. I don't really want to do another water change only because its a pain transporting rodi water from home to make the saltwater. I'm hoping over the next couple of weeks that the top off water will make some adjustments in the alk. Can i use a buffer to bring it up if the top off doesn't make a difference?

Tested alk again this morning and its reading 9.3. I'm using Salifert tests and i am still getting used to reading the chart that comes with it. The corals are starting to open up more.
Tested my 29 gallon over the weekend and its still not ready. The readings are coming down compared to last weekend so I'm hoping by this weekend coming up the tank will be ready and i can start bringing home some corals out of the 20 gallon next week to put in the 29 gallon.

View attachment 281108

This guy has lived in my reef for a while now.

Wow! Greg, that's a big bristle starfish. I do think i have a momma starfish in there some where hiding inside a rock. I did see some longer arms poking out of a rock recently but No where near as big as yours.

Taking this yungster home to put in my 29 gallon.

Attachments

• 1453323473444.jpg
    1453323473444.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 56
I am taking some more corals home from work today to put in my 29 gallon. I will get the last ones out by mid week next week. I will take the two fish home on Thursday of next week so on Friday i can start tearing down the tank. I think i have a large bristle star in there somewhere hidden in the rocks. I will have to find him and try to coax him out so i can take him home as well.

Back
Top Bottom