20 Gallon long reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have literally hundreds if not thousands of those little guys. some do get a couple inches across the arms. Pretty much any time I move a rock or frag I find at least one huddled up under there. I find them in the filter socks, everywhere......LOL

I had a big green one like Greg's, but after three mysterious fish disappearances, I donated him to the LFS. His body disc was almost 2" across when I finally took him out. Had him for over a year. Those guys are surprisingly fast and strong.

Thats awesome guys. I did read about the green bristle star can catch fish and eat them. Not something i want in my tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You know...I can't hardly believe they can snatch any fish that's not already dead or almost dead. There is no "fast" in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think they will grab anything that doesn't evade them, but it's a bit like racing a turtle.

I am imagining a turtle racing a starfish now. Lol I think thats the only race where a turtle can win.

Taking the rest of my coral and two fish home today. I will be in the office tomorrow to move the tank, sump, cabinet and supplies home.

You know...I can't hardly believe they can snatch any fish that's not already dead or almost dead. There is no "fast" in them.

what they do is at night they perch up on their arms and form a sort of cage and then sit and wait for a fish to think they have found a cozy spot to sleep and BAM! they twist around and trap the fish and shove it in their mouth. I've seen video of them doing it and they have been clocked in the fractions of a second in how fast they can trap prey.

The Echinoblog: Giant Green Brittle Stars of DEATH!! When they ATTACK--AGAIN!!

when mine got big, about 14"-16" tip to tip, he would sit in that posture very often and then fish began to disappear, so........

and I found this little guy crawling around the other night. unusual for them to climb the sides of the tank.
img_3342757_0_0f145102703240f6076c218a03e1520a.jpg

I found one in my refugium yesterday that is probably 4" arm tip to arm tip and a body disc about as big as a shirt button. Would get a pic but he is woven into a mass of chaeto...LOL
there are literally hundreds of them all over.....

Back
Top Bottom