Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2003, 02:24 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

20 gallon reef aquarium - 65 Watts enough??

I have a 20 gallon aquarium I just setup, planning on having many inverts and corals in there. Currently have a 65Watt coralife light on there, should I upgrade to 75 watts?

"So..what's YOUR game?"
Stoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 06:03 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Is the lighting, NO, or PC? Whether you need more light really depends on what you envision keeping in this tank. If you want to keep lots of SPS, and clams, then yes you need more light, if you want softies you might be OK, for most LPS a small upgrade would be beneficial.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

NO, PC, SPS, LPS? Not sure what you mean

"So..what's YOUR game?"
Stoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
NO - Normal Output Florecents

PC - Power Compact Florecents

SPS - Small Polyp Stoney coral --> these require higher intensity light

LPS Large Polyp Stoney coral ---> these overall dont require as much light as SPS but some types do require intense lighting.

I suspect its a single PC bulb fixture with a 65W (approx 23" long) 50/50 bulb.

If thats the case you will probably be fine for lower light corals like mushrooms and other soft corals and maybe (depending on the species and location) a few of the LPS varieties.

If you want to keep some of the higher light corals then you probably would be good to upgrade but to something more substantal than just 75W. To give you an idea I have two 55/65W bulbs over my 20 high and realisticly I could use more light than that if I had room in the canopy to put another bulb and reflector.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 11:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Agreed...if you want to keep corals. I have two 20gal tanks running right now with corals in them...one has two 65w PC's and the other has three 65w PC's. These tanks house soft corals and zoanthids only at this point.

Tags
20 gallon, reef, reef aquarium, watts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com