20 gallon reef leak!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4127john

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just found out the bottom of my tank is leaking. What should I do? I have a freshwater 36 gallon which I can switch it to and just move the freshwater to a ten gallon. If I do that do I need to buy new equipment like powerheads, protein skimmer or new lights. Help please!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know the petco near me is having their dollar per gallon sale, check near you may be able to do a quick swap out with minimal disruption to your current setup

If I wanted to upgrade to a 40 gallon, I would need to buy new equipment for everything right?

Depends on what equipment you have and what it's rated for, more information always helps

72 watt t5 lighting
2 koralia 425
Heater I would need to get a new one.
Aquaclear filter(planning to buy protein skimmer anyway...
Do i need to buy more sand too? I have twenty pounds. Should i buy an extra and add it with the previous sand?

72 watt T5 Lighting would vary greatly depending on the light. I think your power heads are fine unless your keeping sps. I would not reuse sand it would most likely end badly. Just buy new sand and save on the hassle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with TK best to go fresh on the sand and use a hand full or two of the old stuff to seed the new sand, but back to the point how bad is the leak in the twenty gallon that's currently running?

The leak isn't too bad. Maybe a half gallon a day is leaking out

Just enough to justify an upgrade, sounds like you might need to upgrade the light as well, protien skimmers aren't absolutely necessary if you keep up with the water changes but they are convenient to have

Ugh midterms are coming up and sooo busy with the tank and work. The lighting I probably have to save up money first. Protein skimmer is my priority right now. My corals aren't really light demanding anyway so i can get the lights later on

When i do move the tank, won't a mini cycle start?

Possibly, but that's why you keep as much of the filter media as possible, riding out a mini cycle isn't too bad

Back
Top Bottom