20 Gallon Saltwater Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tshere

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 20 gallon saltwater tank going for about 6 weeks. I currently have a Percula Clown, a Clarkii Clown, a Black Saddleback Clown, and a Neon Velvet Damsel. Is my tank overstocked? :?:

Attachments

• jackandmegan_125.jpg
    jackandmegan_125.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 28
  • blacky_104.jpg
    blacky_104.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 20
  • fish_031_196.jpg
    fish_031_196.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 40
If it’s a 20 gal long you would be fine if you took the Clarkii Clown back to the lfs. The clarkii gets up to 6” versus the 4” of the other clowns you have and imo is too much for a 20 long.

If it’s 20 high you should scale back your fish selections even more due to the lower oxygen exchange that occurs in high tanks.

Lagger said:
Not overstocked but at the limit. Just keep up good filtration and you'll be fine. Clowns aren't too messy.
Over the limit by any stretch of the imagination with 17” of adult fish in a 20 gal tank. Even if this was fresh water then it would be pushing the 1” per gal rule much less the 1” per 5 gal general rule that applies to saltwater fish.

“good filtration” is only good as long as you have power. With this many fish in a small tank they would start to suffocate within 4 hours at adult size if the power went out. I have a generator and I only have 14” of fish in a 55 gal which I consider “my limit”

tecwzrd said:
If it’s a 20 gal long you would be fine if you took the Clarkii Clown back to the lfs. The clarkii gets up to 6” versus the 4” of the other clowns you have and imo is too much for a 20 long.

If it’s 20 high you should scale back your fish selections even more due to the lower oxygen exchange that occurs in high tanks.

Lagger said:
Not overstocked but at the limit. Just keep up good filtration and you'll be fine. Clowns aren't too messy.
Over the limit by any stretch of the imagination with 17” of adult fish in a 20 gal tank. Even if this was fresh water then it would be pushing the 1” per gal rule much less the 1” per 5 gal general rule that applies to saltwater fish.

“good filtration” is only good as long as you have power. With this many fish in a small tank they would start to suffocate within 4 hours at adult size if the power went out. I have a generator and I only have 14” of fish in a 55 gal which I consider “my limit”

I stand behind my comment regarding at the limit. He does not have 17" of fish in there and I doubt he will within the next year or two. That kind of timeframe leaves many different options to upgrading filtration, tank size or return the fish if he feels it's outgrown his tank.

All 3 of the percs look like there still adolescents and the damsel isnt going to get any bigger. For instance, in pic 3 the clarkii is the same size as the false perc. Stating a clarkii doesnt belong in anything but a 20 long at the minimum means by your standards everyone with a clarkii in their nano is doomed for failure or overcrowding their tank. 8O I dont think so. I've seen many 10g nanos with clarks only. Typically a clark wont get that size unless he's captured in the wild big or is allowed lots of room to grow in captivity.

I respect you've decided to stock your tank conservativly, but that does not mean everyone who has the ability to care for their aquarium in excess of the 1" fish:5gal rule should.

And I think power is a given regarding everyday operation for not just filtration, but lights and flow as well. If a certain rural area has power issues, a UPS or BBS is something to look into.

I'm more concerned about so many fish within a 6 week period. How are the trates doing? Hoping the estblished bacteria is sufficient so soon.

One problem I see is the different species of clowns in such a small tank. Mixing species is generally a bad idea. Also, as Ray mentions, that's alot of fish in 6wks time.

I would say that it is overstocked with clowns. Way too many clown fish for a 20 gallon tank. Expect agression in your tank.

I agree...the mixing of clown species in such a small space is only asking for trouble. Are you over-stocked? Well, that depends...what are your current water parameters? I do think it is too many fish too soon.

Lagger said:
I respect you've decided to stock your tank conservatively, but that does not mean everyone who has the ability to care for their aquarium in excess of the 1" fish:5gal rule should.

Some would even say I’m overstocked being that I have over 11” of fish but I do have excellent filtration and perform weekly 10% pwc.

You have a great looking 20 gal reef tank and I agree that the rule can be stretched if the aquarist is experienced and has a decent sized sump/filtration/skimmer/UPS. The Clarkii Clown in a 20 gal is ok if it was the only fish or with one smaller fish but my recommendation was based on the fact that he/she has 3 other fish two of which are other clowns which will lead to aggression issues in such a small tank.

Even as juveniles the fish are close to 6”-8” which for just starting out is asking for trouble with such a new tank.

Since this is tshere first post (in the getting started forum) and is asking if the tank is overstocked I would have to assume that he/she is more of a novice aquarist also and being such would be well advised to follow the 1” per 5 gal rule until they have gained sufficient experience to exceed that rule.

Without further information such as whether the tank was cycled prior to adding the fish or if he/she if cycling the tank with the fish I still think returning the Clarkii (only because it’s the largest possible adult fish) is necessary for long term success and once a lager tank, sufficient filtration, & experience is reached then consider adding more fish. :Fade-color

Tell me how the 'trates are. If high, I'll stick to my "too many to soon" song. If not, then OK except for the possible aggression issues with the clowns.

tecwzrd said:
Lagger said:
I respect you've decided to stock your tank conservatively, but that does not mean everyone who has the ability to care for their aquarium in excess of the 1" fish:5gal rule should.

Some would even say I’m overstocked being that I have over 11” of fish but I do have excellent filtration and perform weekly 10% pwc.

You have a great looking 20 gal reef tank and I agree that the rule can be stretched if the aquarist is experienced and has a decent sized sump/filtration/skimmer/UPS. The Clarkii Clown in a 20 gal is ok if it was the only fish or with one smaller fish but my recommendation was based on the fact that he/she has 3 other fish two of which are other clowns which will lead to aggression issues in such a small tank.

Even as juveniles the fish are close to 6”-8” which for just starting out is asking for trouble with such a new tank.

Since this is tshere first post (in the getting started forum) and is asking if the tank is overstocked I would have to assume that he/she is more of a novice aquarist also and being such would be well advised to follow the 1” per 5 gal rule until they have gained sufficient experience to exceed that rule.

Without further information such as whether the tank was cycled prior to adding the fish or if he/she if cycling the tank with the fish I still think returning the Clarkii (only because it’s the largest possible adult fish) is necessary for long term success and once a lager tank, sufficient filtration, & experience is reached then consider adding more fish. :Fade-color

Well said, just like all your posts. :wink: Often I forget this is the "Getting Started" forum and your advice is probably more suited for someone who's tank is 6 weeks old and has 3 different kinds of clowns in there 8O He might as well throw a Maroon in there while he's at it.....J/K!!!

Although he might be able to make it work. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Peace_

Lagger, sorry for singling out your post. I appreciate the advice you have given as well and should have left out the “any stretch of the imagination” comment which was rude and should have just stated my own opinion :(

We all benefit greatly from each others experience and with what works and doesn’t work. Having never had a SW tank smaller then 55 gal I learn greatly from nano reefers such as yourself and all that’s involved in taking care of them.

No harm No foul brother. I actually like differing opinions. It keeps it interesting. Too many times I find a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon so to speak or just going off of what someone says as gospel without actually having tried themselves.

Thanks for the kind words on the tank Tecwzrd. You do a lot of people here a great service with your in-depth posts. I always enjoy reading them. Also, your little girl is so darling. Thats a great pic. Peace_

Back
Top Bottom